Wednesday 30 January 2019

From StuartL - WWW.WeirdWorldWar2.Com (45 points)

As you can probably guess from the title, this entry is for the Weird sub genre of World War 2 games.
These models all come from the Dust Tactics 1:48 scale line of miniatures, which was later rebranded Dust Warfare and is now just Dust. I first got these minis when Fantasy Flight Games were producing the game. Once it seemed like they had milked it for all it was worth, they dropped the license and it went over to Battlefront. One disastrous kickstarter later (I'm glad I missed it to be honest) and the game is now being produced by the creator of the game universe and seems to cost twice the price it once did, so I probably won't be getting anything else for it.


Up first is a squad of very heavily armed and armoured British Airborne. I don't know how they jump out of a plane with that much kit on, but they are all set to avenge the disaster at Arnhem. Armed with some kind of phaser cannons and rocket powered fists, they are an unstoppable force on the battlefield. Unless you shoot them in their completely unarmoured heads, which seems a terrible design flaw.


This guy is some sort of special character (you can tell because he is wearing shades and chomping on a cigar, only special characters do that). Because he is so bad a$$ he has TWO phaser cannons. I made an attempt at painting the correct unit insignia on the models' shoulders, though really it came out as burgundy and blue splotches. But if you squint your eyes and look at it from a distance, it just might look like a poor attempt at the British Airborne's divisional badge.


And a close up of the other three guys for completion's sake. Interestingly, all three guys have a knife on their belt, just in case that rocket powered fist isn't enough.


To give them some long range support on the battlefield I also painted up a walking tank. One of the points I liked about Dust was that the allied tanks looked kind of Sherman-esque. This one bears a resemblance to a Firefly, though the turret is kind of small. I may dig out my Tamiya Firefly and play about with swapping the turret to see how it looks.


Continuing my theme of being a nerd for insignia, this model borrowed some spare decals from a 1:48 Cromwell kit. These mark it out as being from the 5th Royal Tank Regiment, 22nd Armoured Brigade, 7th Armoured Division 'The Desert Rats'.


The model actually comes apart, which made painting it a bit easier. The turret is removable and there are some other weapon options available for it including a flame thrower and some tulip rockets which I may paint at some point in the future.

By my reckoning, I have 1x 28mm scale vehicle and 4x 28mm scale infantry for a total of 40 points and another notch on the Squirrel tally.
___________________________________________________________________

Weird War 2 is becoming quite the topic du jour - excellent work on these chaps, but if the infantry are 1/48 scale, surely that means they're substantially bigger than 28mm? I'd better sling a few bonus points your way just to be sure. Five should do it!

Ev

21 comments:

  1. Great looking weird paras and I like the walking Sherman!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird is always wonderful. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adifferent British Airborne to the ones I'm painting, but handsome indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had thought about doing these guys in denison style camo, but time was against me. Your Paras are inspirational though.

      Delete
  4. Nice work! I agree a cigar and shades = the bossman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Shades are probably not a good idea on a battlefield, but they do look cool.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff! Love me some WW2 gone weird

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like WWW2 stuff, especially walking tanks (even if I can see absolutely no benefit at all in swapping tracks for a couple of legs!)

    You’re right on the unarmiured heads too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful bipedal tank - is the gun recoilless?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cigar, shades AND two ****off guns - surely the enemy just throw their hands in the air and start crying when they see him bearing down on them!? Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done! I love the walkers, well most anyway, in the Dust universe and you‘ve done a mighty fine job here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work, love the Sherman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son is keen on these, I myself like the tanks. Really fine work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A splendid force, the light effects are top notch!

    ReplyDelete