Saturday 5 January 2019

From MilesR: French 22 Gun Frigate plus crew (105 points)

 This holiday break has proven to be most productive in the shipyards as the the sixth of seven planned ships has been completed.  In the case a 22 gun French Frigate - with crew!.

As with the previous ships, this model is from Thoroughbred Miniatures Sea Eagle line which I really recommend.  The crew figures are also part of the Sea Eagle product set.
There are 20 crewmen mounted on 10 stands - I'm using a basing standard that I use for Skirmish figures in my Napoleonics as players will have the option to form shore parties.

Still working on the naval rules but am happy where I stand in terms of being prepared for the July convention.  Choice commands will be made available to any Challengers who attend Historicon this year!
The crew figures are "true" 15mm scale so look a little small when compares to my other Napoleonic figures.  They'll still look fine on the tabletop together.  To be honest, the size difference may be a good "jerk detector" - any individual who feels the need to point out the discrepancy probably doesn't need to play in my games.

 Two close up shots of the crew.  I left the basing without ground cover as that looks better on the decks.  I did try to carve some decking on the bases and then remove the figures from their cast on metal bases.  The first task worked fine but the second resulted in a lot of "Long John Silver" figures in need of tiny peg legs.  I went with a basic ground setting instead.

 These base edges will be color coded - blue for French and red for the Brit's - they get pretty mixed up during boarding actions.
Here's a comparison for the figs to some French infantry - the French infantry were purchased painted from GAJO Miniatures and I was very happy with the quality - much better than I can manage on my own.

I've really enjoyed building these models and have reserved the seventh and final one (a lovely Xebec) for the "Mercenary" bonus round.  That ship will get a little but more attention than the rest.
The fleets so far with the French on the left and the Brits (less their hired Xebec) on the right.  The Brits seem a little outgunned, don't they?  Don't worry, there may be some shore batteries and even some fortifications to help out our cousins from across the pond.



In terms of points, based on what Curt allowed for the early ships, I'd say the Frigate weighs in at 65 points and with 20 crew figures at 2 points each, that bring the total to 105 points for this submission.

I need to paint a good deal more crew figures!

What a smashing boat! (Once again, nobody gets twitchy about the whole boat/ship thing, right?!?!?)

That red is absolutely lovely and I found myself looking for the peg legged individuals you mention having created ;)  Not a parrot in sight though, so sadly no pieces of eight bonus points to be awarded..... Good choice on the basing too, from a distance it looks grand and carving 15mm planks sounds like it would have been a job and a half.

I'll bow to your estimate of points as they seem eminently reasonable, so 105 in total it is!

15 comments:

  1. blimey.. where the hell re you going to stores this lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspirational work. I love each of your ships - both the detail and the overall impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m loving your little flotilla Miles. This frigate looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very nice model. I see a lot of potential for Shar Practice here

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that you've moved into 15mm to save space,but building a fleet could possibly use a lot of space? Seriously, great frigate and lovely crew!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stunning work. I know you were ready and prepped and primed but dag nab you are Fast and that is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the jerk detector comment! People like that are what kept me from historicals for years... we have many around here that point out slight colour issues, etc. to me, as long as your tanks are not pink, i could care less, its a game... I care more about the game than the actual modles, hell I cant even tell guns apart (drives Greg nuts!) simply because I could care less about a gun, they all shoot stuff, the diference between one and the other.... meh.

    ReplyDelete