Thursday 14 March 2019

From NoelW for Thursday: The antic tumble to the finish post 3: (225 points)


Close to the start of the Challenge, I began posts for the army which I’d thought was going to be my main thrust (Oooh, missus!) for the Challenge, namely Carthaginian opponents for the Romans. As it turns out (a) this has not quite happened all that much and (b) the Roman army I’ve been concentrating on would’ve had relatively little difficulty with a Punic opponent, seeing as everyone in Carthage was dead by the time they veni-d and vici-d.

Anyway, returning to that original impetus (yes, I do know some big words – I just use them incorrectly – should be “impulse”, really, but tell that to my spellchecker) I decided to complete a squabble of Celts (that’s the correct collective noun, as far as I’m aware) and a punitive Punic – er – punnet of solid, down to earth warriors from the land of Dido and Slim Shady.

Here's the Carthaginians: 






The figures are Victrix. They're nice figures, though slim (i.e. anatomically pretty accurate) which makes them a little fiddly to put together. Well worth the effort, however.

But what really makes these figures (apart from the quite superb quality of painting, of course) is the Little Big Men decals for the shields. Again, they're slightly fiddly to apply but if you follow their instructions with a little care the results are wonderful. These decals are really little works of art, turning a reasonably painted unit into something special. I shall be turning to LBM again. Indeed, I might even create a couple of units just so I can use more of their decals.

As I've said, part of that Punic army will be Celtic allies, so here’s another batch of Celts. I think these are rather more effective than my previous batch - the skin tones in particular seem to have come out well, though that's perhaps not very visible in the photos.




With luck, I'll manage one more post today - though time may be tight, so I hope Iain will be able to fit it in.

21 Carthaginians and 24 Celts = 45 figures: 225 points

 Well these are lovely  Carthaginians ,great sculpts excellently painted and I agree the transfers work really well. The raucous rabble of Celts are super, their shields are also excellent, and the juggernaut of Noel's posts continues! 225 points it is!

All the best Iain



8 comments:

  1. stop, please stop. excellent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! The Celts look very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff. Very very nice. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice stuff, the LBMS transfers can be fiddly to apply but do make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking celts and Punic foot. Your shields came out very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvellous shields. Do you sleep?!

    ReplyDelete