Wednesday 24 February 2021

From MartinC "She sells seashells on the seashore" Sarah's Sorceress (27pts)

Mary Anning lived in Lyme Regis at the start of the 19th Century. Her family was extremely poor so Mary made a lving collecting and selling the huge numbers of fossils to be found in Lyme Regis sea cliffs and beaches. 

She became very famous and although always poor people travelled to buy her seashells, to the point that the tongue twister in the title was written to celebrate her.

She has recently been rediscovered and lauded, to be honest she was famous in her day and was awarded a pension by her clients, but there are no famous geologists (name one without refering to Google I dare you ) so her fame slipped. There is a Hollywood film coming out about her called Ammonite but I'm not optimistic.

I am a fan and I found this figure from Antediluvian Minitatures of her and her dog Tray so I just had to paint them up.


The figure is modelled on the famous picture of her, see link above

The best thing is that she is mounted on a piece of mudstone full of ammonite and brachiopod fossils that I collected from Lyme Regis a few years ago.

So 5 points for Mary and a couple for Tray and 20 points for the to teleport to Knights Solar.
This is going to go on my desk at work.


18 comments:

  1. Great figures Martin and a great story. FYI my daughter worked a summer as a fossil interpreter and guide at the Joggins cliffs in Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, That is a proper cool job. The rocks are about 100-150 million older than the rocks Mary worked, but the same as under my feet today

      Delete
  2. "That's Kate Winslet that is!" Nice painting Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tale! Fossil hunting is a wonderful activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work Martin and the basing is inspired -- bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, the joy for being a geologist is the collection of rocks I have

      Delete
  5. Lovely pair of figures, story and basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting entry! I certainly learned a lot today and excellent work on the figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, always learn something new everyday

      Delete

  7. I read a novel a few years ago, The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry, which was quite excellent. The Essex Serpent is about an female amateur fossil hunter and a mysterious creature (which may/may not exist) The creature lurks in the both psyche and lives of the villagers .... all very gothic Victorian.
    .... Anyway, this figure of Mary Anning and upcoming film is totally in my wheelhouse and I’m super excited to spend some time on a deep dive into the inter webs and discovering more about this intrepid Lady.
    I shall ask the Snowlord to add a extra 5 Sarah Bonus Points ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad you like her, she has just been put on commemorative 50p pieces. The World Heritage Site of the Jurassic Coast is based around Lyme Regis and a good place to find out more. I can recommend The Dinosaur Hunters by Deborah Cadbury, the story of the discovery of the 1st 3 full dinosaur fossils. Mary makes an appearence. I'll look out for the Essex Serpent

      Delete
  8. This is brilliant Martin. I love it when sculptors/manufacturers take the loss to do figures like these. Terrific 'basing' as well. One of my favourites of this Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one Martin! Love the dog and her green dress looks rather fabulous as well

    ReplyDelete