Wednesday 14 December 2022

SimonG: Absolute Chaos -- How Come It's Starting Already!

Great to be back again for my third run around the AHPC -- despite all my plans to be well prepared I'm once again up to my neck in half finished projects.



For those that don't know me I'm a 50+ mostly retired Englishman who rediscovered my teenage hobby of miniatures just as we entered lockdown in 2020. Since then I've actually managed to finish one project (28mm HYW) but have several others still on the go.

On the deck for this time is the continuation of my 28mm skirmish Jewish Wars project -- with the major focus this time around being terrain. In fact a reproduction of one corner of the Antonia Fortress and Temple Mount circa 73CE.  This has been great fun learning lots of new skills such as MDF construction, paper crafts (for tiling), and working with clay to put a finish on all my fortifications.





As you can see it's still all a bit of a mess, today I've been trying to apply PVA sealant and hope to have it all undercoated for the kick off. It's a 1.2m square setup based on four 60cm square blocks. I'm looking forward to sharing more with you as I go along.



My other projects will be the continuation of my 10mm 1980s cold war Soviet/British project and expect to see more Black Rose Wars miniatures plus new this time -- Descent Legends of the Dark.





So lots to keep me occupied in my office come hobby room -- the cupboards are stuffed full of paints, brushes and materials all ready to go. The room is about 12' square, so not particularly large but theres plenty of storage in a void under the mezzanine floor of the next room up -- just mind your had as you struggle to get around in there. It's rapidly filling up with KR cases full of completed miniatures, terrain and the like.



So heads down to get all the prep work done before next Wednesday (when I promptly head off to Paris for the holidays) -- and hope to be sharing much more with you over the coming few months.

15 comments:

  1. Great stuff Simon, good timing for retirement and now lots of chances to get those armies completed. All the best in the challenge!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt -- oddly enough it seems that now I'm supposedly not working my days have suddenly got very busy

      Delete
  2. Terrific post Simon! I love seeing other hobbyist's organized chaos and storage. Enjoy your trip to Paris (we were lucky enough to be there in Sept and had a marvelous time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for getting everything organised again Curt -- I'm not the tidiest (lets just say that there's glue and bits of modelling clay everywhere) -- periodically I try to chip the worst of it off the floor -- good thing I chose a hard wearing and easy to clean flooring material

      Delete
  3. Congrats oin yur retirement, having turned 60 this year I wish I can do the same anytime soon. Happy Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee -- I'm lucky enough to have this flexibility after 25 years spent on planes, nice to not have to be in a different country every week (and also better for the environment!)

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your Jewish revolt stuff Simon. Temple Mount!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some very interesting debate about what shape the temple mount was, and at least for the time being I'm not trying to model the temple itself -- maybe next year!

      Delete
  5. Those are interesting projects, good luck in the Challenge and have lots of fun in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Martijn -- can't wait to see the incredible variety you're planning to work on

      Delete
  6. Good stuff, Simon! Welcome back for a third outing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin -- hopefully I'll meet my target this time

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray -- great to be back in touch with everyone again and look forward to seeing what everyone is up to

      Delete
  8. I look forwards to seeing what you do with Descent!

    ReplyDelete