Saturday 31 January 2015

From SamuliS - 15mm Flames of War Objective Marker

Another quick entry for me today! Stellar speed considering that I've had weeks between all the previous updates and now two for the same day :) Not exactly a miniature, but not terrain either. I'll leave it to Curt to judge the level of my crimes with this entry.


I have a Flames of War tournament this week and decided that plastic objective markers won't do. I already had one resin marker ready that I did for the first fortnight challenge last year, but somehow never really got around to painting this one. Well with the tournament coming it gave me a great excuse to paint it up.


The objective marker itself is from Kerr & King and it's actually a couple of millimeters too large even though it's meant for FoW. Still the scene here in Finland is pretty relaxed so I don't think it'll matter too much. Quality isn't top notch, with some small potholes here and there, but still far from the Games Workshop Failcast offerings.


This was a really nice side project to get my motivation up. Only a couple of hours from clean up until finished product so it was nice to see something finished for a change :) I airbrushed it dark brown and added colour by drybrushing different areas. I tried to do most drybrushes with a few different shades and varying coverage areas to give some variation to the tone especially on the brick wall. After drybrushing I washed the interior of the supply dump and then added some chipping using a sponge.


Hopefully the elegant objective markers will see me victorious during the tournament :) Though with most of the Finnish ETC team taking part and other experienced players there I guess I'll be happy if I end up in the top two thirds of the lineup :)


From Curt:

Lovely work on this marker Samuli. I did not realize that Kerr & King offered these - I'll have to check them out as I always admire the character they can pack into these small 15mm vignettes. 

Unfortunately I still class them as terrain for the Challenge so I'm afraid they're not eligible for scoring (similar my own ammo dumps and fuel depots from my LRDG submission). Nonetheless, I wanted everyone to enjoy the work so thanks for sending it along Samuli!

16 comments:

  1. Really nice work. Good to have something to fight for

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice objective marker :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, atmospheric little building. I might need to look into these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ruined shed looks about as tidy as mine! It is a shame but a single dead figure on it and it would have scored points as it deserves. And I bet Curt would have added bonus points for the objective as well !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work. I personally switched to flat markers usually with a propaganda posters on them doesn't get in the way of the game but I do miss the scenic element of objectives like this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like someone forgot to lock the shed! ;)
    Lovely scenic, very tidey brushwork on such a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice piece of terrain, Samuli - would look good in any WW2 game. At first I thought it was a model of standard Canadian Forces military housing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Good one Mike. I remember a good friend of mine who was serving with the Camerons in Winnipeg leaned against the wall when he was showering and fell through it. Construction at the lowest bid is not always the best thing.

      Delete
    2. Any astronaut or airline pilot would agree with that!

      Delete
    3. You'd just love the barracks I stay in, and understand why I like the woods so much. They are WW1 vintage with the old furnaces still intact on the outside! The fellas say they are ACW vintage, but I keep telling them we used tents then! ;)

      Delete
    4. I guess the standard of military building is nice and high everywhere. I've only had a door come of the wall with it's hinges during my service. Falling through that wall might be interesting :) Everything can be done with less money without any decline in quality. At least that's what our government seems to be telling constantly when military spending is cut down.

      Delete
  8. Nice little model and well painted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys! Probably should have dug out some mini to use as a casualty then. But nevermind, what's done is done :) At least it got plenty of use this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bags of character, hope you did well in the tourney

    Ian

    ReplyDelete