Saturday 30 January 2016

From BenitoM - Concluding the Fallschirmjager Platoon and First Support Unit (52 Points)

You may have noticed that I've been absent a few weeks. This being due to a family issue that also affected my painting output. I managed nonetheless to conclude the core platoon of my German paratroopers project for Chain of Command, with the last two riflemen (in winter gear) and the  HQ section (see below). 



Also, following many suggestions from the other participants in my last entry to the Challenge, I decided to rebase the section painted in winter garments, putting some snow on it. I went to my local show and found a convenient Tupper of 4Ground frozen static grass, to which I added some baking soda to simulate the snow on the bases.


Finally and with the help of my wargaming pal and airbrush Jedi-master Alejandro, I can also present today the first of my platoon supports: a nice little Hetzer.

 
This is the Warlord 28mm resin model. We went for a camouflage pattern commonly seen in late 44/early 45, and  I think first employed in the Ardennes offensive. The distinctive feature are the small round marks painted over the main camouflage lines. I like to play Chain of Command with these small AFVs rather than the big cats, more challenging and clearly more fun.

This photo is a 1:1 scale model :-) in the museum of Bastogne, taken last November. Look at the relative size in realtion to my friend Alfredo and notice how small this tank is!


In summary, today I add seven 28mm models (3 in snow uniform and 4 of the HQ section) plus the tank resulting in new 50 points to my Challenge score. Hopefully I will return to normal and will try to catch up some of the lost time, as I’m clearly derailed now to  achieve my 500 points target.

Currently I'm working in more support assets, next in the pipeline being an assault team, plus a heavy machine gun and a mortar stands.  

Beautiful work Benito! I really liked your previous winter figures, but I must say they are definitely improved with the addition of your new basework. The Hetzer is one of my favourite WWII AFVs and this example you show us here is brilliant. (I also like gaming with smaller armour as they were more prevalent and are often prove to be more fun on the table.) I love the ambush pattern camo and the commander is a great touch (I'm adding a few points for him in your total). 
Well done Benito, I hope things settle down for you in the coming weeks.

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful brushwork Benito! The medic is especially good. I hope your family issue was resolved and nobody is the worse for wear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking figures and I love the Hetzer. I agree that smaller armour is more fun and more realistic. Think the lovers on big tanks must be compensating from shortcomings in other areas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Benito - the Hetzer in particular really stands out. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hetzer is a gem; it's one of my faves from my earliest model-making days 40-odd years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to the thick of it! Nice work on the figs and the Hetzer really hits the mark(pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice work on all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree CoC is so much better with realistic vehicles than the awesomely powerful ones.

    Great painting as well. The new base style is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice indeed, they look very effective. I agree on using the smaller vehicles, much more fun than tigers and panthers if most things on the battlefield are still threats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty cool stuff and Bastogne is a brilliant museum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work, Benito! I love the winter uniform look and feel to these guys. Great to have you back on track with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid work Benito! That Hetzer is ace. At the moment I'm waiting for the Rubicon plastic one to be released. And gues what? I too prefer to field small tanks instead of the big cats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good work on all including the AFV, the camouflage on the beastie looks really good.
    The renaming really adds to the winter troops too!

    ReplyDelete