Saturday 30 January 2016

From Millsy - Forest Goblin Spider Riders (150 points)

Growing up in Australia it's damn near impossible to avoid two things...

1. Being constantly warned by all and sundry about the numerous indigenous non-human life forms which have made it their personal mission to kill you, often in a painful and likely ignominious fashion. One of these is the Red Back Spider.

2. Our irreverent response to point one, typically in the form of song. Say for example, this old classic by country legend Slim Newton:


So what could possibly be nastier than a single, normal sized red back spider lurking in the thunder box and waiting to ruin your only moment of peace in the day? Fifteen of the buggers obviously, man sized and being ridden by spear-wielding goblins. See? And you thought it couldn't get any worse!


These jolly chaps are yet another addition to my now ridiculously large Warhammer Fantasy Savage Orcs & Goblins army. They are, as usual, the classic edition of the miniatures and packed with character and attitude.


For some reason Games Workshop never saw fit to make a musician for this unit so I modified a figure which arrived broken by removing his arm and replacing with the horn from a plastic set. On top of that I also drilled and pinned all 15 spiders to the bases and all 15 riders to the spiders. Tedious and time consuming work but the only way to ensure ham-fisted gamers (i.e. yours truly) are not constantly tearing things apart in the heat of battle.


So that's another entry under my belt. I didn't think I'd get these done in time for today's deadline because I've been slightly preoccupied this past week. You'll understand what I mean shortly. :-)

Anyway, they've taken an age to paint but now they're done and I can start yet another unit for the army.

Cheers,
Millsy

To be honest, I couldn't even look at the video as the thought of it totally creeps me out. (Shiver) Nonetheless, these are awesome figures Millsy. I really like your greenskin army as it's so wonderfully vibrant and screams FANTASY. (The guy with the feathered headdress totally cracks me up.) Also, I feel your pain on the drilling and pinning, but we all know it pays its dividends in the games to come.
AND a very tidy 150 points for you Mr. Mills. Well done mate!

 

47 comments:

  1. These are lovely. I wish the old metal spider riders were easier to come by but these fifteen should do you well. I love the goblins in these sets. Great stuff Millsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron. And they're still easier to get than the forest gobbos on foot by a country mile!

      Delete
  2. Oh thanks very much you b*st*rd! I remembered the stories my wife told about her time in Ozz and her encounters with those bloody beasties. I was stupid enough to click the link and am now having the shivers all over. Oh and the greenies on spiders are great but still hate you for enhancing my arachnophobia! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! My apologies mate. :-)

      Delete
    2. You should have taken my lead Sander! Millsy, does New Zealand have these creepy-crawlies like you folks in Australia?

      Delete
    3. @Millsy: well righto then, no worries!

      @Curt: according to Millsy's link, yes there are several colonies of the black crawlies in New Zealand and other countries including Belgium...

      Delete
    4. Not to mention the similar Black Widows in our neck of the woods Curt.

      Delete
    5. Sander, that would mean I would follow a link that Millsy provided. A thing I will never do. :)

      Delete
    6. Peter, I've never seen a Black Widow in all my years in Saskatchewan (thank god) and hope that lucky streak runs the course while I live here.

      Delete
    7. When Katie was younger we spent a few hours in Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta. There was a sign saying "Enjoy the natural beauty, but beware of the black widows, rattlesnakes, scorpions and cactii". A family from South Africa was there at the same time and the woman commented that at home she could see the lions coming!

      Delete
    8. @Curt - The most dangerous thing in NZ is the chocolate fish :-)

      @Peter - Good point. Even at their most ferocious I can easily outrun an angry red back!

      Delete
    9. Well, lesson learned: I will not follow any of Millsy's link evermore. So I talked about it with the missus and she showed me pictures of the Australian poisonous centipedes: I really HATE you now Michael!

      Delete
    10. Yeah they're nasty buggers. Had one crawl into my thong (the shoe variety) and bite me between the toes while watching TV once. It didn't reckon on the retaliation of an angry and surprised thong wielding bloke. Not a mistake it'll ever make again!

      Delete
  3. Love the goblins, but ugh spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super unit. Fantastic painting and basing. Keep those spiders down under.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super looking unit - I kinda like spiders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles. Nice to see I'm not the only arachnophobe round here!

      Delete
  6. Nice bit of work there, Mr Mills - I'm guessing that rough terrain doesn't count for these bad boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope and neither do stunties with glowing swords :-)

      Delete
  7. the wild bunch of goblins ;-)
    nice vintage figures well painted and a rewarding result! well done Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Millsy - excellent, classic feel. I think they would look great getting run down by some Empire Knights...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that. I have a massive classic Empire army that's likely the next big WFB project after this one.

      Delete
  9. Great unit, I can see them scuttling across the field

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I like this entry! The colours on the gobbos contrast so well with the spiders it makes this really stand out. And kudos to you for doing the conversion on the musician.

    You may be a GIMP, but your our GIMP and you keep things fun on here!



    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful unit, love these old Forest gobbos!
    And thank you for confirming my decision to stay across the ditch in the South Island of NZ where these little bastards haven't made it yet - as far as I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these old school armies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At last spiders you can put saddles on! Now that is my size of spider. The biggest I have seen in the UK is a "House spider" as big as the palm of your hand. We called him Boris in this house. And I am sure he was more scared of me than I was of him.

    Nice to see some proper scary fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely crazy old hammer work - wouldn't like these bearing down on me on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha...they look great, Millsy. Really super painting and colours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really nice gobbos, Millsy! My favorite goblin force for some odd reason. ;)
    You forgot the best part of OZ, I haven't been since the 80's, yet I recall that soft drinks are sold in tiny containers but beer comes in 50 gal drums....;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking goblins sure to give a scare riding spiders!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally awesome! One aspect of these I really like. Your combination on the base. Really suits the spiders. But that's a whole heap of old school spidey ridin love. Very cool and high quality work. Cheers to you Millsy. Down under represent!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totally awesome! One aspect of these I really like. Your combination on the base. Really suits the spiders. But that's a whole heap of old school spidey ridin love. Very cool and high quality work. Cheers to you Millsy. Down under represent!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent work Millsy! Spider Riders have always been one of my favorite Warhammer units. Fits the wackiness of Gobbos perfectly riding to war on furry critters and being eaten on the way by their (or their neighbours) steed on the way more often than not.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent work Millsy. I am also an Orc and Gobbo-aholic. I have about 25,000 points in old WHFB 6th ed value, some of which are even painted!
    Now you have inspired me to work on some old WHFB figures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent work Millsy. I am also an Orc and Gobbo-aholic. I have about 25,000 points in old WHFB 6th ed value, some of which are even painted!
    Now you have inspired me to work on some old WHFB figures.

    ReplyDelete