Wednesday 22 February 2017

From JohnM: Now for Something Completely Different (48 Points)


It is with some hesitation as well as enormous trepidation that I post photos of my next submission. I believe that the subject matter is held very important to at least 4 of my fellow challengers, including our leader Curt and the Wednesday minion Byron. My friend Iannick as well as Greg, one of the Fawcett Avenue Conscripts, also appear to be deeply immersed in this bizarre (to me anyway) fantasy project. Not only are they all superb painters but they all appear to have a broad knowledge of something called the Horus Heresy.

So why, I ask myself, have I become involved. I had noticed, with only a passing interest, submissions from our western friends over the last few challenges of bases of colourful little figures and vehicles. They looked cool and I had a vague idea that they had something to do with Games Workshop but that was about it. In a recent visit to Iannick's for some gaming, I happened to notice some of these tiny figures in purple in his painting room. Iannick is really quiet an excellent painter, his figures are always carefully and well painted and he really does a superb job on basing. I was immediately taken with the idea of painting some myself. 

I kept quiet hoping it would pass but I could not get the idea out of my head. I then starting emailing Iannick multiple times each day and over a couple of weeks he very patiently explained Epic 30K to me. Now I have to admit, I still have no idea what the whole thing is about, I know it has something to do with a dystopian future. I know it is in the Warhammer 40K world and that it is it. I am unlikely to read any of the books, of which I understand there are several. 

But I have to say despite all this, I really enjoyed researching the army lists, putting together the OB and painting the figures. I have to say an enormous thanks to Iannick who was very patient with my questions; directing me to the source material, correcting my mistakes and instructing me in the basing of the army.

I wanted a red army, and it had to be a Loyalist faction in the Horus Heresy as Iannick's IIIrd Legion, the Emperor's Children is a Traitor faction. A quick flick through the lists and I was left with the IXth Legion, the Blood Angels. So it started, a quick trip to eBay provided me with an adequate number of figures to start things up. Further arduous research through the internet and looking at many photos of epic armies left me with a painting scheme and off I went.

Since this has already been quite a long post I think, I will stop now and just present you with my first line detachment with it's three supports. I will discuss how I painted and based the figures when I present my second detachment. If I have done my calculations correctly, I believe this first grouping is 975 points of a planned 3000+ point core force.

Legion Tactical Detachment
Rhino Transports
I went with a red/brass colour scheme
Eight Tactical Squads, I found these particularly tough to paint and to base. 
First Support: Legion Dreadnought Talon Squadron
If I have it right, these are dead or severely wounded Space Marines who get put in Mechs!
Second Support: Legion Vindicator Squadron

Third Support: Legion Sicaran Battle Squadron

I really enjoyed painting these.

Well, I have to reiterate that this is a fun project and quite a change from painting 28mm figures. I know my efforts are a poor comparison to those of Byron, Curt, Greg and Iannicks' beautiful creations, but I am hoping they will serve me well on the battlefield. More to come......

I should also say that I have used the Fawcett Avenue Conscripts basing standard for Epic 30k with the hope (and I am sure Iannick will second this) that our western friends will come to Montreal sometime in the future for an Epic Encounter.

I believe their point value for the challenge is 24 (vehicles), 4 (mechs), 20 (figures) for a total of 48 points. It was a lot of work.

ByronM: I would not short sell your stuff John, they look excellent, especially for a colour like Red that is hard to work with! There is nothing wrong with them at all!   Your colours and brush work are excellent. 

I think the only thing that could be done to improve is a little harsh edge highlight and chipping.  However at this scale its hard to pull off, but it is one thing that Greg does to his that really make them pop.  I believe he learned the technique to do it from Tacobat (another blogger that obsesses over this stuff and is an amazing painter).  If you wanted to punch them up, I would try that.  Honestly though, they look very good as they stand now, so they do not "need" it, I would be thrilled to play against these any time.

27 comments:

  1. Good Stuff John! Very different from your normal work but just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite different then anything I have done before.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work for your first taste of Epic 30K :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work John! You were a busy man! It should make for a nice contrast with my very bright III'rd Legion. I like the brass details, works well with the red. I think my favourite are the old school dreadnought, they are very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iannick, I think the basing is close in colour but more granular.

      Delete
  4. Well done John. I am equally confused by the whole heresy thingy, but I confuse easily. I like the basing and your colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great John! All this epic material going around has me giving it a thought.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice indeed, I see Iannick and Greg got to you too.... I'm a huge fan of the contemptor dreadnought (yep, nearly dead warriors inside).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again thank you, what a strange place to head up when almost dead.

      Delete
  7. Well done John! This looks fantastic. Your Blood Angels will look marvelous on the table as they are gunned down amid their futile defense of the so-called "Emperor"...

    As for the trip invite, I say let the planning for "Montreal 30k" commence! We would love to have you guys visit the prairies as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome John! I love that you've pitched-in with the rest of us loons. Your Blood Angels look excellent and I particularly like those Sicaran tanks.

    I'll echo Greg in saying that we absolutely need to organize a Canadian Epic get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice detachment of Blood Angels, John! I like the square basing of the marines too. That's exactly how my old neglected forces look in that shoebox that I placed somewhere... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome work John. Hard to paint that scale well and you've done a really fine job. Trouble is I know I've got some Eldar for Epic40k somewhere and now I fancy painting them up.

    Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like where I have been led astray, I am leading others astray.

      Delete
  11. These look great John. I wouldn't worry about comparing them at all. I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, grand sight those red waves readying themselves for battle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very fine work John! Great to see some more Epic in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good! Have fun with them on the tabletop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking bunch of tiny red fighting warriors and tanks. great stuff. cheers

    ReplyDelete