Tuesday 25 December 2018

From AlanD: 15mm Soviet Infantry (86 points)


Hello everyone and Merry Christmas from Australia. It is great to be back in your company again.


For my opening salvo in the Challenge this year I have painted some 15mm Soviet troops for games of Battle Group: Fall of the Reich. Apologies for the slightly washed-out photos.

The first bunch are two squads of tank riders. I'm pretty sure the figures are from Skytrex?



Then we have a platoon of assault pioneers in body armour and amoeba-pattern camo overalls. I had a lot of fun thinking about how to base these so that the teams looked like they were interacting, and I do love making rubbly bases. These figures are all from Flames of War.




43 figures should net me 86 points, and I'm on the board. Expect to see more of that terrain base shortly!

______________________________

It's great to see you back to the Challenge, Alan! 

These Soviets look terrific Mr. Dearn. I always like what you do with your basing and terrain as it always has a realistic, lived-in look about it. I especially like the brickwork with these bases, with the colour of the shattered masonry being very well realized (the torn remnants of the propaganda poster is a great touch).

As you estimate, these chaps will give you 86 points but I'll pip you up to an even 90 for the time spent on the bases. Well done, Alan!

24 comments:

  1. Great looking Soviets and rubble!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff, Alan, those photos make it look as if you're actually looking at the real thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bases!how did you do the brick walls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anibal - the walls are made from plaster thanks to some rubber moulds I had lying around. They are pretty brittle, so I need to be careful not to drop the base!

      Delete
  4. Dear Comrade Alan:
    1. Great job, they look awesome. Love the basing
    2. I look forward to wiping these new acquisitions off the table in a storm of steel
    3. Merry Christmas buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kamerad Paul:
      1. Thank you, and for your suggestions!
      2. Bring it....
      3. You too!

      Delete
  5. Excellent work mate. That's a lot of little chaps there who look like they know their business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Russkies Alan - I like the basing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great work on these, love the basing

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have really brought out the character of these figures. Basing is quality as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work as always Alan, I agree with everyone else, the basing is very characterful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work Alan, I love the rubble and ruins on the bases.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great figures, the walls are a fantastic addition to the overall presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely stuff, especially the walls. I just made some and they're not nearly so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant stuff Alan, the scenics on these figures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant basing! Really adds to figures at this scale.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work Alan! Really nice work on the bases. Really makes the minis pop

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suitably war torn and blasted looking bases mate. Really like what you have done with these.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grand little dudes,Dux! I like the basing a lot on these fellows as it seems a story is being told. The details on the troops, and walls are very well done!

    ReplyDelete