Tuesday 25 December 2018

From MartinN: On ne passe pas! (5 points)

"Das Wort Operation verbitte ich mir. Wir hauen ein Loch rein. Das Weitere findet sich. So haben wir es auch in Russland gemacht"
-Generalquartiermeister Ludendorff-


Another year, another challenge and yet another project. A little more than 100 years ago World War I, or the Great War as it is also known, ended after claiming the lives of millions of soldiers and civilians alike. The tragedy of the whole conflict, especially on the western front, is in my opinion perfectly epitomised by the quote with which I started this post. Translated into English it reads like:

"I refuse to tolerate the word Operation. We simply punch a hole into it [i.e. the front]. Then we'll see about the rest. That's just how we did it in Russia too."
-Quartermaster General Ludendorff-

Ludendorff made the comment in the spring of 1918 when asked for the strategic conceptions and aims for Operation Michael, the German spring offensive meant to encircle and break the British Expeditionary Force and thus ending the war. Germany by than was on its last leg and the offensive was seen as the last chance to come to a victorious conclusion after four years of all out war.

The quote shows the complete disregard of (not only) the German High Command with which it spent the lives of its soldiers without really having a clue as to how to break the deadlock in the first place. And if, by some miracle, the breakthrough actually happened, how to exploit it. 


The famous phrase "On ne passe pas!" (They shall not pass!), which probably is better known in its Spanish Civil War iteration "¡No pasarán!", was coined when the Germans actually threatened to break through on the Marne for a second time after 1914. And while coming close to actually break the backbone of the BEF the Germans were actually stopped.


Some might remember my first tentative steps into WW1 from a few years back. The project never really got off the ground, thus I hope to breath new life into it during this challenge. Other than in my earlier efforts I'll mainly focus on the Western Front but may stray into other theatres as well. For a start I've ordered a whole bunch of Woodbine Designs French and am currently thinking of maybe adding some Brigade Games French to the mix.


I'm not completely decided on the basing yet, thus I shamelessly borrowed a method used by our very own Sidney Roundwood which he used on his Great War project.

So, with my first entry for the challenge out of the way it's about high time to prepare for Christmas eve. 

A Merry Christmas to you all!

__________________________________

One can always count on your work being stunning and you don't disappoint here, Nick. I love your take on French 'Horizon Blue' and your skintones are always a marvel to study. You can't go wrong with a Roundwood-inspired base as Sid has pretty much nailed the groundwork for that conflict. I think there'll be several us eagerly awaiting how you get on with the re-start of your Great War project. One thing for sure, it will be a feast for the eyes!

Happy Christmas, Nick!

30 comments:

  1. He is absolutely outstanding. Fantastic work, and another great example of Curt's black background photography I can't seem to master.

    I bought Home Before the Leaves Fall (A Franco-German centered history of the Marne) to get free shipping on Christmas presents and got a few chapters read tonight while on holiday (and thus can't paint), so this was a pleasure to see. Might you be tempted into 1914? Or, conversely, Americans to support your French?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robert. Have bought the same book a while back but truth be told I haven’t come round to read it yet. Something I plan to rectify in the new year.
      As for 1914 I‘m of course tempted. Actually one reason for not starting earlier with this project was I couldn’t decide on the period. And while I‘ve settled on the later part of the war for now I might as well dabble into 1914 sooner or later.
      As for Americans I don‘t think though. Equipment wise they look too much like Brits while the latter have a bigger range available. Thus if I‘d expand I‘d probably go with these first. That said I‘d love to continue my russian front project before that.

      Delete
    2. 1914 is tempting because the terrain is easier; no need for trenches, shell holes, and the like. It's also something I'd be highly tempted to play with a colonial rule set and proper section organizations.

      Oh, for shame on the Americans. In terms of visuals, they have greater range than the British, since they often wore French kit, especially those serving with the French. So you can have a mix of Adrian helmets, French webbing, British uniform, Springfields, Chachats and Lewis Guns, etc. It really is begging for the plastic treatment!

      But keep the French coming, they look spectacular!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely brilliant brush work. Merry Christmas to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really outstanding painting, lovely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speechless stuff, simply speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some of the best figure painting I have ever seen. He is literally stepping out of the photos. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great painting work! The lights achieved are outstanding

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic colour and detailing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding work Nick! I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take this project.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work Nick - the shading on the blue is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work, looking forward to more

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Outstanding work, just a joy to look at at.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning brushwork Nick. That Bleu Horizon is spot on, and the subtle shades and highlights are brilliant. Looking forward to seeing this project progress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That mini is gorgeous. You've done a wonderful job of bringing it to life with your brush. Every part of it is really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow. I'm doing some 15mm French and they just don't compare.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning work Nick, I really like the debth of your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fantastic colours, brilliant work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning work here Nick, awesome use of colour on him with super clean lines and highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely stunning work as usual Nick! I'll definitely be following this project with great interest! WW1 is something that I've always wanted to game, but never really figured out what scale I should do it with. I kinda feel it would almost have to be skirmish scale or then go straight to at least a battalion level if not larger for the game to work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic painting as ever Nick :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right up to your usual amazing standard Nick. Love him!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome stuff as always Nick, grea work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Most impressive, as usual. Those blues are really rich

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning piece of art!
    I love your palette and how clean you painted the figure. Kodus!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful work, Nick! I really enjoy your style on painting flesh tones and the French blue is wonderful on this trooper not to mention your textures of cloth, metal, and learher....WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete