Tuesday 1 January 2019

From IannickM : First submission - African critters (20pts)

Hi everyone, I'm finally joining the fun today after a week or two of much drinking and much eating! Although I did manage to do a bit of painting.

To start the challenge, here is four African animals; two crocodiles and two lions. They were given to me by Laurie for my birthday, and I do try to paint the gifts I'm given! Yeah I'm considerate like that. They actually fit quite well with my Biblical project, well basically my Canaanite army, and If I ever get a biblical game on I'll certainly use them to liven up the wargame table.

The figures are from Foundry's always excellent range of animals, and they were a welcome and fun change of pace what I usually paint. I'm quite happy with the lions fur colour, I think I got that right, although the mane could be a tad darker.

I used the same style of basing as my Biblical project to tie them in. Both crocs and lions were a first for me.

Most of my challenge will consist of undead, as I'm building an Undead army for the Old World Army Challenge, my Oldhammer painting contest starting on January 1st, so I figured I would use the days before 2019 to work on some living stuff! More to come next week, as I'm putting the final touches on a unit. After that, expect a lot of miserable bags of bones, decaying Zombies and spooky ghosts.

And happy new year y'all!!




A Wonderful opening entry. I have always found animals to be very challenging to paint because one wrong colour and they don't look 'real'. I think you have the colours spot on with these (even the Lions manes) and the arid base scheme works really well to bring out the colour pallet of the animals. I'm looking forward to seeing your undead army for Oldhammer but in the meantime you've earned yourself a solid 20 points to get going with. 
Lee

21 comments:

  1. Nice, that lion skin colour is indeed the business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice starter entry, Iannick! I think you've got the mane colour just about right on those lions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool - I know from a previous challenge entry that Lions are not easy to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice way to start Iannick. Those critters look spot on and the basing works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great start. There's a lot to see and enjoy with these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to the Challenge, Iannick! Those are lovely beasts - I particularly like the crocodiles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking animals and basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that animals are difficult. You've got them spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff mate. Really like the crocs and you have the lion colouring spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have nailed the animals' colours - especially on the lions. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Iannick. Love the crocs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for the lovely comments, much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely done, the colours you've used look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely shading and highlighting, especially the lions!

    ReplyDelete