Tuesday 31 December 2019

From Benito: WWII Early War German 50mm Mortar Teams (13 Points)

Fourth Challenge entry. The Christmas break is being less productive than I initially anticipated (lots of unplanned personal commitments emerging at each moment), but nonetheless I’ve not been idle at all and have several projects in final stages of painting.

A small addition today, a couple of German 5cm mortar pairs. These are part of the core project this year (an Early War German platoon for Chain of Command); one of the pairs is integrated in the HQ section and the other is an optional support that you can add in different scenarios.



These mortars are similar to the ubiquitous British 2-inch mortar, but less versatile and less used by the Germans.



The models here presented are Warlord German Blitzkrieg box bodies and the mortars and ammunition box come from the Perry Afrika Korps plastic box. The latter are slightly smaller than the Warlord’s but you can hardly notice once assembled. I have also used an ATG rifle part of the Perry box, that I’ll show here in due time.



As I commented in my previous post, the Warlord box offers an almost infinite variation of poses and here is another example using the prone position bodies with three different alternatives.




With this entry I add 13 additional points to this year's Challenge.


Before concluding the post, someone asked in the previous post for the colour palette used with the Germans. This is as follows (all references are Vallejo):


- Trousers: base is 50/50 German Grey (995) + French Mirage Blue (900), with lights using 900 straight from the bottle.

- Tunic: German Uniform (920)

- Webbing/boots: Black (950)

- Gas Mask (container and pouch): Green (890)

- Water Bottle: Green (890), Cadmium Red (814) or Khaki (880)

I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy 2020, may the brushes (and the dice) be gentle to you all!!

______________________

Another fabulous set of early-war Heer, Benito. I really like how the colours snap on these figures and I'll definitely be trying out your recipe when I next have to paint up a set of these. Question how do you shade/highlight the tunics and helmets?

Just so you know, I score prone figures at 50% their value due to half of them not having to be painted. It's all a part of the service to torment here at the Challenge. ;)

-Curt

13 comments: