Monday 3 February 2020

From ByronM - A visit to Roundwood's Tower (44 points)

Well, it has been a little while since my last post and that is for a few reason, one of which being that I had no clue where to go next on the map, or what to do for it.  After some thought I decided to climb down from the peaks along the path of imagination and visit Roundwood's Tower.

To score points for the map space I had to do something alternate history based, and I had just the model for it that I have been wanted to paint up, a female Roman centurion.  This is a big model measuring in at just about 45mm tall and is pretty beefy as well.  It is supposedly 35mm scale (heroic scale) but is larger than that, and will fit in nicely with either my Arena Rex figures or as a Kingdom Death hero in a pinch.

 

The thought here was, what if women were allowed to fight in the Legions?  I for one would not want to face off against her, as she looks suitably intimidating!


I painted her up in much the same manor as I painted my Greeks, using vallejo steel and bronze washed with earthshade for her armour, and deep reds washed with dark browns for her red fabric.


Overall I am super happy with how she came out, even though I have to go back and redo her face once I get to picking up new glasses (getting older sucks and my focus is changing and I need new prescription reader / painting glasses so that I can paint fine details again).  She still looks ok, but it is very annoying when your eyes won't focus like they used to!

Oh, and did I mention, this is a 3d printed figure? I picked up a whole set of great files by a very talented sculpter "Francesca Musumeci" from a kickstarter she ran earlier this year (Amazons) which despite the name came with a ton of other themed figures as well, amazing value for the money.


Also in this post is another monster from Kingdom Death, that has sat too long with only primer on him.  I was just never sure what to do with him colour-wise.  He is the Hand of the King and is a royal pain in the @$$ in game.


The fight against him is essentially trying to prove your worth to him by hurting him enough that you earn his respect and he leaves you alone, or surviving long enough that he gets bored with you.  In typical Kingdom Death style, neither outcome is good for the settlement, although one is less bad than the other.


My biggest issue trying to come up with colours for him was that he has an open brain at the top of his skull and therefore I could not do a red cloak, and a royal purple one didn't work either. So he sat...

Then recently I saw a picture where someone did his cloak yellow and it just looked right, so it was time to paint him up.


With these two 40mm+ figures I should rack up 14 points plus the 30 points for the visit the Roundwood's Tower.

***

Fine brushwork once again Byron. It's always great to see new and cool miniatures arrive from your 3D printer. The female centurion looks great - in particular the Vallejo colours seem perfect for armour plates, very nice work. Whatever state your glasses are in, rest assured the output is still impressive.

And yet another unsettling Kingdom Death creature...though perhaps not so unsettling as the last one...at any rate, it's good to see there is one fellow in the setting with an open mind *cough*. 

44 points for you, keep up the great work!

GregB

15 comments:

  1. Great looking centurion and kingdom of death inhabitant, lovely work on both!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Byron - I really like the female centurion. I checked out that kickstarter and there are some fabulous designs in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly are, and at about $50 I thought it was a really good deal. She has many more on her patreon as well, I keep looking at more!

      Delete
  3. The female centurion is, as always, a stunning piece of work. Now you just need a century of female legionnaires to support her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may just come! I believe they have (or are working on) several great sculpts to go along with her.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff. Love the Centurion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Byron, doesn’t look like there’s anything wrong with your eyesight from what I can see. Love the centurion, and prefer not to think about the KD monster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great looking 3D print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah now that resin prices have plummeted over the last 2-3 years, and since liquid resin printers are now available for less than $500 CND, I believe almost everyone in our hobby should have one. I mean, which one of us nutters doesnt spend at least that every few months on the hobby??? And once you have it then you can print your own things for super cheap.

      Delete
  7. really nice 3D sculpt - and sensibly dressed too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you going to use these beauties in games against the Snowlord Byron? Anyway these are brilliantly done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he ever gets an Arena Rex team, maybe! :-)

      Delete
  9. Very well done on that fierce lady!

    ReplyDelete