Saturday 30 January 2021

From PeteF: Old School 15th Dragoons completed for The Gallery of Ancestors (105 points)

Way back in the mists of time, around the mid 1980s, my Dad painted 10 Minifigs French dragoons as the 15th regiment - nice pink facings & turnbacks. For some reason when he painted French cavalry units he would just do 6 or 10 figures - with his Anglo-Allied army he painted the units on a scale of 25:1 - which means I have a lot of British Light Dragoons and Kings German Legion Hussars. 

Bugler painted by my dad in the 1980s

For 100 Days Campaign/Quatres Bras project I'm doing cavalry units of 12 or 18 figures depending on how many were at the battle - the dragoon regiments were quite big so I'm doing 18 of them for this regiment. I added 8 men and 9 horses (extra horse so I could put the bugler my dad painted on a gray one) to complete the unit.

2nd Row painted by my dad

In a way all my Minifigs units could qualify for the Gallery of Ancestors since the Bloody Little Soldiers (as my mum called them) were part of my childhood and many of them lived in a giant cabinet in the dining room for 30+ years. The remaining soldiers were boxed up last year when new carpets went in. They will travel out here to the US whenever I can finally make it to the Old Country for a visit. Darned pandemic.

Minifigs are always fun to paint - although I use acrylics I can still smell the humbrol and oils that my dad used. I would have brought the humbrols out here but could never work out how to ship the tiny flammable tins across the pond.

9 horses and 8 riders plus a room bonus for a total of 105 points. 










11 comments:

  1. Lovely dragoons and it's just a great project and perfect for this chamber!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely painted. There's never enough Dragoons to play Napoleonics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! You gotta watch out for those pink guys - they have something to prove it seems. :) Great brushwork Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work Pete. I have trouble imagining being terrified by men in pink charging but as Curt says, maybe they have something to prove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love seeing this project develop Pete. The pink and green is very striking. I too remember the stink of hum roll tins, but no way am I going back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking dragoons. Hopefully you can make it home to collect the rest of the minis sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tugging at my heart strings again with these lovely old Minifigs, great to see more come to life.
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Pete! These look excellent.

    ReplyDelete