Saturday 30 January 2021

From Barks: Knights of Rohan (100 points)

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

... Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them.

The Return of the King. JRR Tolkien, 1955

These Rohan Royal Guard have been hanging over me for at least ten years and I'm happy to get them done. AHPC XI has been great at delving deep into my lead pile. I painted them with the rider attached to the horse.


I have used a lot of GW Contrast paint here, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The cloaks and shields are Dark Angels Green without shading or highlighting. Similarly, the horses' coats are one pass of Contrast only:

Snakebite Leather

1:1 Cygor Brown: Contrast Medium

Aggaros Dunes

Black Templar

Gore-grunta Fur

8x mounted 28mm: 80 Points

Knights Solar: 20 Points

GW Side Challenge: 80 Points

26 comments:

  1. Awesome Royal guard! If that was a single pass its a great advert for contrast paint!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was more careful, I think I could get an even better effect. It certainly sped up some stages!

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely unit, one of my favourites peoples in the Lord of the Rings saga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work. I have already decided that for the next AHPC I am going to concentrate on my massive collection of LoTR plastic models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve certainly amassed a few over the years.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work Barks! I LOVE the Rohirrim and this makes me want to paint more. Thanks for the tips on using Contrast paints for the horses - I'll be filling in a few colours based off of your recommendations. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a bit more care you could get a really nice easy horde of horses with Contrast.

      Delete
  5. Great looking models Barks. While I can't stand the LOTR game (way to simple, ends up as a scrum in the middle all the time), I love the figs and of course the stories. Lovely paint job on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I’m looking for the ideal ruleset. GW’s is OK for small figure counts only.

      Delete
  6. I love the contrast work you have done there!

    What primer did you use for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a bit of zenithal priming finishing with Tamiya fine grey.

      Delete
  7. Contrast does wonders on Lotr, I have said it before and I say it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice painting and helpful to see names of the contrast paints, will have to try those out for myself. Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held off for a few years, but the browns in particular are very handy.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic looking riders. Those contrast paints appear to have done the job nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're very handy for working through a batch of figures.

      Delete
  10. I love me Rohan and these are ace ! Proper metal Guard figures too, worth a fortune these, lock em in a safe 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have spent more time painting them nice...

      Delete
  11. Ok crap, I need some of these...well done!

    ReplyDelete