Monday 4 January 2021

From TomG - Epic ACW and a trip to The Larder Challenge Chamber - 73 points

Hi all, I hope you've all had a good week, and that the universe has treated your painting sessions kindly. Having taken a few days off painting due to poorly kids and grown ups in our house, I was greatly relieved to hop back in the chair and get some colours down. 

First on offer is the next stand from my Warlord Games ACW sprue, this time including the command strip. As I have zero confidence with banners, I made up a placeholder just so I got a feeling for what may one day be when I can print some off. 


These guys are turning out to be more fun to paint than I thought, and it is converting me to want to look at more 15mm (or there abouts) scale gaming. My only other experience is Flames of War, and that's mainly vehicles. 

I tried to keep a variety of colours in use for their uniforms, in an effort to give them a campaign look, but I know that I may benefit from a simpler scheme when I get a lot more of them. 

Our courageous leader got a small amount of extra detail, but not much, however I love how he came out. 

My only issue was that I ended up finding the highlights got super desaturated as I went along, but luckily it's not present in the finished article. 

Oddly the cannon crew were the first things I painted but I didn't post them with my other chaps as I wanted to tweak them.

Mostly those tweaks were the red details and repainting the cannon to a darker bronze tone, but I'm not sure this was the right thing to do. What do you think? 

So now we move back in to the Chambers of Challenge, and after a lengthy campaign it's time to hit up that Larder! 


This little number comes from, the now dead and unsupported game, Guild Ball from Steamforged Games. It was classed as terrain for the game, however it'll now function nicely as a challenge entry, forever to live on the shelf of unknowns. 

As painting it goes, the colours were fun to play with, and I even you to use my Christmas gifts of some Pro-Acryl paints, namely purples and oranges. The chicken is my second bird of Challenge XI and I'm sure it won't be my last 🤣

Anyway, I hope you like what I had to show you and I have scored it as follows:

20 x 15mm infantry = 40pts
1 x 15mm mounted/officer = 4pts
1 x 15mm artillery piece = 4pts
1 x small scenic (under 6" area) challenge entry = 25pts

Total - 73 points

25 comments:

  1. Great closed ranks look with this one -- a real feel of mass. Did the figures come this way or are you just really good at basing Tom! Plus a very tasty spread

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon, thank you for the awesome comments. The acw guys come ranked up like that, I think I've got a photo of the sprue in my first post from this challenge if you fancied a look, although I wish I had basing skills of that level!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Tom, I'm resisting the 13.5mm ACW at the moment but folks keep trying to drag me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul, all I can say is... join us! 😁

      Delete
  4. If I didn't have ACW in 28mm, these chaps would definitely be drawing me in. Great paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noel. I finished a 28mm ACW project this time last year, so I had no defences to stop me haha!

      Delete
  5. Those are very nicely done Tom. I’m avoiding15mm due to aging eyes and the first ACW due tips the impending second ACW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, and I know what you mean, round 2 could be... interesting.

      Delete
  6. Nice work Tom. I am torn on these new plastic figures from Warlord...on the one hand, cool to see new stuff (and you make it look sharp!). On the other hand, I don't know why Warlord must exhaust us all by using a new scale, being evasive about it etc...oh well...bottom line is, well done! I know many folks who are curious about this new product line will read your submission closely, and likely be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg, that is really appreciated! As for a Warlord, who knows, I guess it's business so they have to make it unique, but it certainly has ruffled feathers.

      Delete
    2. Excellent work Tom - they look brilliant.

      Yeah, the whole 13.5mm scale choice is just garbage imo. Either make them 10 or 15, don't f*ck us about with a 'new' scale.

      Delete
  7. Great looking ACW 1 figures and nice larder entry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I had so much fun with both which always helps.

      Delete
  8. Great job on the epic unit - they look fantastic and would be a great way to get into ACW massed battles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab work on those Warlord ACW chaps but I love the Larder piece. Those little vignettes can really bring a game live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and they really do help, don't they.

      Delete
  10. Marvelous work on your ACW project so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice mash up, Larder piece top draw and lovely work on the ACW sprue 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the ACW look, but the larder is smashing!

    ReplyDelete