Monday 4 January 2021

KenR - Allied Legion Hastati Part 1 - 160 points

 

After the weirdness of my Bradford City Torture submissions its time to get back to the real project this Challenge and my 28mm Allied Legion. I'm working from front to back with the unit, so after the slightly under strength Velites (I'm still searching for the absconding figures !) Its time for the Hastati.


The figures for the Project are all Victrix and due to the sprue layout I've used a few unarmoured figures in the Hastati (newly promoted Velites is my excuse). What you see here are 32 figures based on 4, 60 x 60 bases (8 to a base) and they will form half of my Hastati line.

I'm a bit biased but I really like the look of these and thankfully that keeps me enthusiastic about painting more, acres of white is not easy ! Shield transfers are by LBMS. Controversy reigns when it comes to shield designs and Republican Romans, I have used plain shields on my Romans but decided on designs for my Italian Allied stuff, mostly so they can be easily distinguished on the table.


32 figures at 5 points each should net me 160 points. 


Above is an update on the project as a whole, still lots of mdf to cover but I'm happy that I have knocked a hole in numbers during the first couple of weeks. Next up will be the remaining 32 Hastati after which I will have a change of scenery and do some Cavalry.



26 comments:

  1. Great work, I really love those shields! Are they the little big men transfers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, yep LBMS, says so in third paragraph above 😄 specsavers doing good deals at the moment 😉

      Delete
  2. Amazing work Ken, as always. I also enjoy the photo showing the gradual "filling in" of the blank bases...I will steal that idea for some project at some point...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, I have very reasonable fees for stealing ideas 😄

      Delete
  3. Great Hastati Ken, looking very fearsome all ranked up. I see no issue with the unarmoured legionnairies, after all equipment during the Punic Wars. Outdoor be sketchy at time. I’m with Greg and I’m loving the fill in the blanks progress reports. I’d steal it too but that would require me to think ahead more than my next meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, the problem with the blank bases approach is you look a right nana if they don't get filled up 😄

      Delete
    2. Oh well, that’s a given so there’s no harm in me trying it.

      Delete
  4. Great looking Hastati! Shields look great as does the mix of armoured, semi armoured and unarmoured!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain , I do like a ragged looking unit 👍

      Delete
  5. Wow, those look fantastic - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely work Ken. I really like the white scheme on these chaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, long way to go in this project, buy shares in white paint 👍

      Delete
  7. beautiful rep romans are great to paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin, First big batch of Victrix I've done, I like 👍

      Delete
  8. Great work Ken, who doesn't love a Rep Roman shield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ray, love one, 200 plus less so 😄

      Delete
  9. Again that's some very nice work on your Romans there! Really dig the white tunics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I'm going to be pretty sick of white by the time March arrives !

      Delete
  10. Wow, Ken, this is stunning!

    ReplyDelete