Monday 4 January 2021

From SimonG: Soviet GSFG BMP Company in 10mm (36 points)

One year into my 28mm HYW project with the end in sight I've decided it's time to start on a second project. In a way revisiting the last time I wargamed back in the early 1980s I decided to recommit to a late 1980s modern setup using the Battlegroup Northag and Sabre Squadron rule sets.



The key question was what scale to use. Back in the day I used a mix of GHQ and 1:300 -- yes I know that's two different scales and the differences were sometimes obvious, but I was young! I considered going back to GHQ but was put off by relative cost, unattractiveness of the infantry figures and some issues with lack of supply here in the UK. There are a number of suppliers at 15mm now but frankly they're just too large. 10mm is the ideal choice and there are several decent suppliers that you can mix and match. So far I'm primarily using Timecast who offer great customer service, with some Red3 mixed in where a model is not available. Models are in a mix of resin and metal and have some nice detailing and need minimal clean up although fitting the fiddly pieces takes some drilling.



They paint up very nicely and easily with the only detail work being the hand applied numbers. It took a while to find the right mix of washes for the body and the wheels -- good old Nuln Oil works well for the body (thinned down a little) and I used Seraphin Sepia (applied very liberally) for the wheels. My main learning so far is that the brushes that work for figures are completely wrong for vehicles! Flat works so much better than round, duh!




The hardest part is actually the basing. I'm not one of those that subscribes to rule that vehicles should not be based. In my mind basing provides more durability, adds a diorama element (so looks better) and provides the facility for labelling -- which is important when many of these BMPs are carrying  different troop complements -- we've got three 3 carrier troops plus two LMG squads and a command group. I made up labels using 4mm brass strip, laser printed labels and plastic stick on cover on the A4 printout -- it came out nicely I think.




So that's another 36 points (12 10mm vehicles at 3points each) -- hard work for the points 😅 but adds to my total. Now I need to work out how to paint up the teams within each of these vehicles!

24 comments:

  1. These BMPs look great! What did you use for the bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. The bases are 60x40 2mm laser cut MDF from East Riding Miniatures finished with Geek Gaming Lukes APS modelling compound and a variety of scatters and static grass

      Delete
  2. Lovely Bimps Simon, I'm with you on basing armour at this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul -- still need to work on making the groove for the label -- that modelling stuff drys fast and you need to work swiftly

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking BMPs! Cold war gone hot,nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain -- I'm also looking forward to building up some nice urban environments as well -- nice thing about these rule sets is that they allow for in close urban conflict as well as the big tank battles

      Delete
  4. So many things I agreed with when reading this post Tom! GHQ's infantry offerings are dismal! And yes, 15mm is just too big in some ways (that said, I have painted shed-loads of the Team Yankee stuff because I love it...anyway...), and vehicles looks great on bases! So very nice work, and that Timecast stuff sure is tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg -- I love the GHQ vehicles, and used to have lots of them, but those little splotches of people didn't do it for me, and with rules at this scale I want the individual fire teams to look good -- still however not looking forward to doing UK camo at 10mm ...

      Delete
  5. Fab stuff. I never owned any GHQ's models (loads of Airfix then I must have discovered Led Zep!) but you have put some life and some nice detail into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are Timecast 10mm (actually 1/144 scale) whereas GHQ are 6mm (actually 1/285) so roughly half the size but superbly well cast in metal. Timecast are mostly resin with metal for smaller turrets, details and barrels.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Adam -- I'm looking forward to more on this project

      Delete
  7. Excellent work Simon! I'm with Greg, GHQ figures are crap and bases for vehicles look terrific at this scale (and save the painjobs when storing/transporting). Great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt -- I'm looking forward to painting up the Timecast figures, and the Red3 ones look cool as well (and have some other armies like the West Germans whom I may add in due course)

      Delete
  8. Nice looking transports, I'm looking forward to seeing the infantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, the squads are next up after my men at arms are done, so should t be too long 😉

      Delete
  9. A bit of old school Soviet goodness, I wasn't aware Timecast did these, you live and learn 😁
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Ken, I’m also thinking of adding some of the Timecast buildings and roads as well, I think they’ll work well and be easy to get on the table

      Delete
  10. Very nice looking tanks Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray -- they make a nice unit, great to be able to get a full Company on the table while still being able to handle individual infantry squads

      Delete
  11. Nicely done Simon! I also think 10mm is an excellent choice for that period. 6mm is almost too small and 15mm, albeit nice to paint and look at, rather too big for anything but Skirmish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick - I am kind of tempted to try a skirmish set at 28mm however seeing the great WW2 work you and others do, maybe I’ll the no about an Arab/Israeli project at that scale, lots of small scale flare ups and interesting kit

      Delete
  12. Very nice! I have committed to 15mm for moderns, but I do get tempted by other scales...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Barks, I was just taken by the Timecast range so that decided it for me

    ReplyDelete