Monday 4 January 2021

Old School Talisman Warrior - DaveV

I saw Gin's post about the Talisman Monk on the 20th Century Tabletop Miniatures FB page, so I decided to finish Citadel's Talisman Warrior as my next entry for the Challenge. 



I painted several of the figures Citadel made for the Talisman board game, back in the late 1980's. Over the years I collected about 50(!) more in bare metal; they were all based on the card art, and replaced card stock standup pieces.  



Part of the challenge was trying to somewhat match my painting style of 30+ years ago. For example, nowadays I airbrush zenithal highlights over black airbrushed primer. 

Following my old techniques, with a rounded steel sculpting tool I burnished the Warrior's helmet, shoulder guards, thigh pieces, and the metal of his weapons. The face was undercoated in brown, and I brushed on black primer everywhere else, and then worked up some grey and white for highlights before painting the figure in acrylics. I used a tiny amount of oils for some details and blending, and some Abteilung Smoke oil to shadow the burnished metal parts.




The Warrior is a colourful addition to my existing Talisman models; I should really paint more of them.



These characterful figures are also useful for solo dungeon crawls like Steve Jackson Games' re-issued The Fantasy Trip, another relic from the 1980's that has been reborn in these pandemic times. 



Only 5 points, but the Warrior is a welcome addition to my own dungeon adventurers. 

17 comments:

  1. That's some hefty effort there Dave, but the finished result is tremendous! And you even have the old school hex base! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving this fig, looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic! I love that hex base, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, well worth all of the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This guy looks great. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Dave. Looks awesome. Talisman is a game I used to play a ton of with friends in junior high, and just started playing with mike, steve, and adrian again every few weeks over steam, so its awesome to see the figure alive and painted well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on some vintage goodness there Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful to see these ancient figures "authentically" treated. A great addition to the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 20 old skool points to you! Smashing work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid old school dungeon adventurer!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done Dave! He fits right in with your older miniatures, something I always find hard to achieve myself. Never heard of that burnishing with a sculpting tool technique. Would you care to elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking mini. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely painting, and nice implementation of the colour scheme

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cracking little old school figure 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete