Monday 4 January 2021

From Curt: Saruman and his Fighting Uruk-Hai (25 Points)



For the past year I've been slowly re-reading (and in the case of some of the more esoteric titles, reading for the first time) the entire Tolkien oeuvre. I think I'm at six or seven books now, and am just finishing 'The Two Towers'. Gosh, they're just so darn good - it's kind of humbling to reacquaint oneself with the fountainhead of epic fantasy literature.

Reading Tolkien is a complete nostalgia trip for me as I have very fond memories of reading the trilogy while on a month-long family camping trip in the Prairies. I keenly remember burning out several flashlight batteries reading late into the night. So good.Anyway, here we have Saruman and four of his Uruk-Hai orcs (the nasty ones, you know, the ones with anger management issues). Such great models due to the fact that they are the old, rare metal ones which I adore.






Saruman will give me 25 points, will my 4th Squirrel Point and will be my prize figure to one of our Challengers.

Next Up: Hmm, either 'The Golem's Haunt' or a visit to the local Sorceress for a teleport. Decisions, decisions...

Also, today our Daily Minions will be shepherding us through the remainder of the Challenge. First up is our good friend from Sault Ste. Marie, GregB!

Take it away Greg!


- Curt

24 comments:

  1. Nice juxtaposition of Saruman's almost glowing robes against the mucky orc chaps. They don't look like they are stunning conversationalists either.
    Month long camping trip on the Prairie, eh? Sounds grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, much appreciated. Saruman's PR people were onsite, shuffling the orcs into place, to make sure he looked his most splendid. :)

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking Saruman and chums, lovely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work on these slime balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a tough crowd to work with. Saruman always wanting anther highlight and the orcs dirtying up there's. :)

      Delete
  4. Great work! I love that detailed multibase system you have there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. The sabot was one I just had hanging about (Byron's cut up zillions for me) and so I thought I'd use it.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on these classic figures Curt! I love the different shades of white you managed on Saruman's robe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smashing colour control on the flesh of those Black Orcs. Saruman doesn't look too shabby either. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you really are quite good at this painting lark. fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a doodle... ;P

      Thanks Martin.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant work on Saruman and his minions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the War of the Ring figures, Sauruman is a great sculpt top marks on him
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful work Curt! They should fit right in with the two I painted for you last year. Or was it the year before that? Anyway, I have quite a soft spot for those Uruk-Hai too. Love painting that pecular skin tone... maybe I should get me some as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! I used your fine work as a template for my work - your skintone was bang-on.

      Delete
  11. I do like the fighting Uruk-hai. I, too, have been re-reading all the books- I highly recommend the Prancing Pony Podcast as an accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll have to check that out, thanks!

      Delete