Monday 4 January 2021

From SimonG: A Clockwork Barrel Beast for the Golem's Haunt (30 points?)

 So a pretty productive day for me -- continuing my careful exploration of the Chambers of Challenge I present a clockwork golem for the Golem's Haunt. He seems to be made up of barrels and a big clock possessed by some mysterious etherial presence.



Again this is a Black Rose Wars Ludus Magnus Studios 38mm PVC cast. Still hydrophobic (if you use paint that is thinned in any way, even if its been sitting on a wet palette for a few minutes) the plastic spits it out. Luckily if you get a decent undercoat and/or base coat on then from there on it's plain sailing and the detail and definition is good. Of course as these are pre-assembled multi-part pieces there are some spaces that are very difficult to get to!




Overall it's an exercise in wood shades and different metals plus a little touch of some technical effects to show the magic animating the beast.







Anyway that keeps me moving along and should be good for perhaps 30 points -- 20 for the CoC and my guess is 10 for a 38mm figure that is larger than a single figure but not as large as mounted.  Now I think it's back to the HYW and a couple of stands of Men At Arms.

22 comments:

  1. Nicely done Simon! I have scored this "timely" fellow as a 40mm foot model. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg -- sorry about all these odd sized critters

      Delete
  2. That is a thing of beauty great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam -- the down resolution pics actually mess up the colours a bit -- the glow looks like rust in these pics and it's actually more like an eerie shine

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful figure, and your brushwork only makes 'him' better. I especially like the various metallics and the magic glow. Excellent work Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt -- I do seem to end up with a very "dirty and used" look -- I think I'd have to work on painting Angels :-)

      Delete
  4. Perfect figure for the chamber- really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- as soon as I saw it I thought it would fit

      Delete
  5. Excellent figure and paintwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- it was surprisingly quick to do (once I'd dealt with the undercoat issues)

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking construct!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain -- what I really like is the way the sculpt has it actually gripping the edge of the base, a nice touch

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Martin -- the LMS guys do a nice job with their scuplts

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray -- Oddly enough I even believe this creature could be made :-)

      Delete
  9. Not something you see everyday, but great work nevertheless. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an imaginative steampunky piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - LMS have a lot of other figures that draw on Italian and European history and fantasy so I hope to show some of their others over the coming weeks

      Delete
  11. Mad but awesome. What a great figure superbly painted 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, I think I Managed to get into all the “nooks and crannies” 😀

      Delete