Monday 4 January 2021

From MilesR: 15mm Soviet Infantry Company and Artillery Support - September, 1942 (210 Points)

It's high time I resumed work on my Stalingrad project, so decided to paint up some 15mm Soviets as I will need a lot for the planned convention games and campaign at the club.   The minis are are from Plastic Soldier Company and, to be honest, they are so-so but you can't beat the price.  I picked up a "battalion box" which comes with over 300 figures, 12 guns and a bunch of mortars and such for under $75.00 bucks.


First up is a soviet rifle company which has 3 platoons of 4 squads each.  The platoon in the center is armed with submachine guns.  They're currently arrayed in the January 9th square - right next to Pavlov's House!


Supporting them are 4, 45mm AT guns and 4, 76mm Howitzers.  The box also has 4 76mm AT guns which I'll paint up but can't use for the game as I can not find any reference of there use during the pivotal fighting in late September for control of Central Stalingrad - which is the aspect of the battle I will be depicting.

All of the terrain you can see in the pictures was completed before the Challenge and represents 40% of the total table.  There will be a lot of future terrain related submissions as the rest of the battlefield begins to take shape.  The majority of the buildings will be scratch built.

Points wise, this entry consists of 89 15mm infantry figures and 8 guns, which should net out to 210 points (89*2) + (8*4).  

Tony from the club has graciously offered to help me paint Germans and his painting skills far exceed mine.  I've started the CAD work on some new buildings so hopefully those will get done for my next submission.


18 comments:

  1. Great work Miles! I was never a believer in hex terrain myself, but this pandemic stuff has completely changed me around on that. And this looks fantastic, cool project and great of you to share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice work and already a probable unassailable lead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demand a recount and complain about illegal figures!

      Delete
    2. Hopefully in a few days we'll find Peter's proposed recount strategy to be ineffective in a different context. I suspect my pace will slow down when I get the terrain mojo back

      Delete
    3. Can’t you just find me 1124 points?

      Delete
  3. Boom, Miles you are a steamroller! Impressive loads of kit and table looks great. Do you really need lots of Ruskies or can you just recycle the units once they’ve been eliminated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The convention game will have four players per side with each controlling an infantry company plus a handful of support options. I'll need 4-5 more companies and some tanks

      Delete
  4. A great start to the new project mate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic bunch of Soviets!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. IMpressive Miles! That table promises to look awesome once finished, especially when positively crowded with your figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking project.

    The hex terrain will help new players, and will bu very useful for online games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smashing project, Miles. The terrain looks great

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really inspired by your hex terrain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comments - I am really enjoying the creative process of making hex terrain and hope using it will really speed up gameplay (no tape measurering!). We'll find out

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super entry Miles, great backdrop too
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete