Sunday 23 January 2022

From Barks: Ambot (Cybertron)(30 points)

Ambulls are massive burrowing insect-like monsters* in 40K. Ambots are mining cyborgs with the brain of an an ambull controlling them. 







I do struggle with vehicles, but this has such a dynamic pose and was somewhat fun. I painted the metallics first, then all the plate in cream before building up an industrial yellow. I gave it a light targeted drybrush in dark grey before final details. I had thought about a bit more dust and rust initially, but think it is fine as is. I like the control panel swinging off the back with the tantalising possibility that you could stop its murderous rampage if you could just reach the red button...

1x 54mm figure: 10 points

Location bonus (Cybertron): 20 points

Slowpainter's ABC: A is for Ambot

*Entirely not at all like umber hulks, oh no.


_________________________

Oh wow, this is such a cool model, Barks. You say you struggle with vehicle (I certainly do), but this guy is magnificent. I really like the yellow armoured plating and the black and white caution stripes. Is it an official model, a 3D print or something else? Anyway, I think it's brilliant. Now, if they could only figure out a way to turn it off wirelessly...

- Curt


34 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Barks - good job on that yellow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great looking model, Barks! I hate painting anything in yellow - it always looks rubbish - but yours is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Contrast Iyanden Yellow over a solid cream basecoat. I added some pinwash shading with Goregrunta brown Contrast, then edge highlighting with Vallejo Game Color Pale Yellow.

      Delete
  3. Must… reach… red… button…
    Fantastic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s a
    Together cool, Barks, and I echo what Dux says about yellow.
    Does it require a full environmental assessment before operating? 😏
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guaranteed by the manufacturer to be entirely safe.

      Delete
  5. That’s a beast of a robot. Putting an Ambul brain in a mech, no possible problems with that is there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool model. Excellent,,ent story and great brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome model and great paint job. I just picked a couple of these up last month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more looking forward to painting a second one now!

      Delete
  8. Very nice, great yellow, great highlightning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barks, the chipping/ weathering on this bot is downright gorgeous great stuff mate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man this thing is all kinds of awesome! I can't believe I didn't know this model existed til now! You've done an amazing job on it mate, from the glowing yellow to the wear, chips and other damage. Just WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this model and you’ve absolutely smashed it with the paint scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work. Nicely "weathered" too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, ginormous cyborg, ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! I hope it gives any adventurers pause!

      Delete
  14. That is a gorgeous yellow!!
    You’ve inspired me to expand my colour palette 🎨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me a long time to get happy/ faster with yellows, oranges and reds.

      Delete
  15. That’s quite an impressive machine, ahem… construct! The yellow came out nicely and reminds me of modern day construction vehicles. The hazard stripes are a must

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hazard stripes, and any resemblance to contemporary construction sites is not accidental!

      Delete