Monday 5 December 2022

What's your Hobby Setup, Preparations and Plans for Challenge XIII?

A common topic of conversation amongst Challenge participants is the manic preparations undertaken for the coming three months of the AHPC. Figures are acquired, assembled and primed. Tufts, bases and other esoteric materials are stocked. Paints, brushes and all sorts of arcane hobby tools are purchased, carefully organized and made ready for the coming painting blitz. For many challengers, all of this frantic jockeying has become as intrinsic to the Painting Challenge as the event itself.

With this in mind, I though it may be fun for us to provide pictures of our hobby areas, along with perhaps a few things we're preparing for the orgy of painting ahead.

I'll open the ball with an image of my hobby setup, along with a few shots of some of the stuff I'm working on in preparation of the starting whistle.

The Snow Lord's Nerd Centre

Space is at a premium in our household, and as such my hobby setup is nestled in a closet in our den. I installed some lighting, built a desk insert and added some upper shelving for overflow (there is ALWAYS overflow). I also have a few Ikea rolling storage units tucked below the desk that I use for excess paint and random bits. It's pretty compact, but over the years I've managed to get a lot done in the space afforded to me.

Here are a few things that I've been preparing for the Challenge:

A BFG as part of an upcoming Titan build (I think GregB will approve).

One of my Snobs for Turnip28

Mushrooms for bases (I know, how random).

Mysterious blobs to be revealed later.

My printer working overtime on stuff I'll probably never paint...


My Challenge Projects

  • Additional Characters for 'Moonstone'

  • WWI Greyscale?

  • Italian Wars

  • Some Napoleonic Additions

  • Two complete forces for Turnip28

  • A new Titan for Adeptus Titanicus

  • Cars for Mad Maximillian

  • Fantasy Adventurers for Mork Borg

  • Fantasy Monsters for the same!


_______________________________________________________


We just have a few weeks before the start of the Challenge, so let's see what each other has for hobby setups, along with perhaps a pic or two of the projects you have percolating for the Challenge. For those who have access to the Challenge blog from the last edition, feel free to upload your own posts, otherwise send me an email with your pics along with a description of what you have planned and I'll post it up on the blog.

Okay folks, let's see what you have in your hobby lair!

- Curt

28 comments:

  1. Great idea, I'll try to post something, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to see what you have planned Teemu!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. You have a wide array of projects for this year indeed. I should also prepare an introductory post shortly following your lead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benito. I enjoyed your post (and your travel hobby kit). Keep in mind that my to-do list is meant just to touch upon my many, disparate, dissolute and despondent collections. :)

      Delete
  3. The turnip28 stuff looks very intriguing. Alas I have no replicator in my lair. I am currently attempting to clear my work area and tidy up before the challenge ball drops! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Turnip28 bug has bitten hard. You will see a lot of stuff from me on this. You need a replicator, David. No, really you do. It never ceases to amaze me that I can 'create' toys from liquid in my own hobby room.

      Delete
  4. I'll be interested to see the mork Borg monsters, as I have scratch built/sculpted a few monsters for forbidden psalm myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get some models from Kawe (Westfalia Minis) that fit perfectly into the Mork Borg world. Also looking forward to trying Forbidden Psalm after we get a few adventures of the RPG done first.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of WW1 greyscale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a fairly large project on WWI in greyscale a few years ago to which I hope to add a unit this season. https://analogue-hobbies.blogspot.com/search?q=great+war+in+greyscale

      Delete
  6. Great idea, I will post something up in the next week or so. All the best for the challenge

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cars for Mad Maximillian that should have been on my long list too. I love greyscale painting I will have to check the blog to look at your past work and will follow you this challenge. I have posted an intro too. Have a good challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping that I can get my vehicles done for Maximillian (such a great period of vehicle design). I hope you find something interesting in my greyscale efforts.

      Delete
  8. It's been a bugger of a year but dammit, I'm determined to follow the Challenge and at least cheer from the sidelines. Ladies and gentlemen, start your brushes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to hear from you Evan! Yes, I do hope you can drop in to see what silliness is on the crest.

      Delete
    2. Eaaaxcellent. I very much look forward to your 'Evanesque' commentary. :)

      Delete
  9. Great idea, sadly I am ill at the moment but when on the mend I will put a post up myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Sander. Get well soon and pop up a post about you and Arthur's hobby plans for the Challenge. :)

      Delete
  10. Nice set-up, Curt! "Turnip 28"? Well, whatever floats your boat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! Actually, I think that Turnip28 might appeal to your deliciously bent and twisted mind.

      Delete
  11. That's classy and I'm jealous of your printing prowess having seen such superb results last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind Kerry, thank you. We'll see if I can get my mojo back for this edition.

      Delete
  12. Really happy to be back, and love this new idea of introductions here! Seeing a trend of 3d printing though, so that is really going to be interesting to see how it all turns out!

    And your hobby space is quite organized and logical. Wouldn't expect anything less from you Curt ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, most of my stuff this year will be 3D printed. It's quite mad when you think on it. I would never have imagined this even 5 years ago.

      Delete
  13. What a small bit perfectly formed hobbying space. Look forward to seeing the 3D printed whimsy and nonsense.

    ReplyDelete