Friday 24 February 2023

From TamsinP: Agent Lake Busts Dredd [Limo][Superheroes] (75 points)

I've discovered that the Show Lord isn't making public announcements of the Director's chair tasks this year. Just so you all know, here is the task he set me:

"Tamsin, I've noticed your marked bemusement at our Turnip28 efforts, so I think it's only fair that you be properly inducted into the madness. To break you in gently, let's see you paint a 28mm vehicle to look like a root vegetable."

Gulp! OK, in reality it's to paint that 28mm 100 Ton Type S Scout-Courier spaceship with a mostly orange exterior, and some green bits - to look like a carrot (I knew that joking comment would come back to haunt me! Damn my big mouth!).

I am making progress on that and should finish it before the end of the Challenge. In the meantime, to give me a break and keep my points tally going up, I'm continuing with my tour of the studios.


Lady Sarah's Limousine - Agent Lake


I'm using this figure from Artizan Designs to hop a ride in Lady Sarah's superb limo from the Casting Couch to the Superheroes studio.


It was quite a quick paintjob - flesh; hair; dress and shoes; gun; some lippy; the puddle base.


I decided to experiment a little - normally when I do purple, I tend to highlight up towards the blue spectrum; this time I decided to push the other way, towards red. It came out rather well on the dress.





Superheroes Studio - Judge Dredd Bust

A few weeks ago, I painted up a 50% scale 3D print of this bust for the Black & White studio. This time, I've taken the 75% scale print I mentioned back then, and painted a colour version.


Hero to some, villain to others...probably best to call him an antihero.


But is he a superantihero? He's just an ordinary man, albeit tough and highly trained, isn't he?


The way I see it, if Batman and Iron Man are classed as superheroes despite being ordinary humans who are only able to do the things they do because being multi-billionaires allows them to access lots of high-tech gadgetry, then Judge Joseph Dredd must qualify too.


I mean, have either of them arrested and imprisoned Satan? Traveled through time? (OK, thanks to crossovers with the JD comics, Batman has...).


Currently 84 years old, Old Stony Face (the Chin Himself) is still going strong, dispensing justice to the citizens of Mega City One, defending them against enemies foreign, domestic, intergalactic and interdimensional. He's also at least partly a cyborg now - his eyes and some other organs have been replaced with bionic versions at various points in his career.


Yeah, I'd definitely argue that he counts as a superantihero.

"Time for your close-up, Mr Dredd"

In case any of you were thinking that I've just repainted the bust I did for the B&W studio:

And a 28mm figure for scale

The bust is just shy of 15cm tall, 12cm elbow-to-elbow and 6cm front to back.


The previous 50% scale bust was scored as 20 points - I'll suggest 30 points for this one (but will happily accept more if Minion Phil thinks that is more appropriate!).



For Scoring

1 x 28mm foot @ 5 = 5 points
1x Bust @30 = 30 points
2 x studio @ 20 = 40 points

Total = 75 points



Friday Minion: Awesome work here Tamsin! Glad we see the bigger Dredd bust in the challenge. This may be me being a bit of a philistine over artsy black and white things, but I think I prefer this one: superb rendition of the judge, great work on his stubble and that muted NMM gold suits him just perfectly. Your extensive Minion experience is clearly showing through, as I think 30 points plus the studio bonus is a very fair scoring bid, that is after all the score for a 54mm (!) vehicle (have we EVER seen one of those?)

Looking forward to the giant grimdark space carrot and your inevitable descent into the madness that is root vegetable-based combat. 







30 comments:

  1. I really like what you did with the lady. The red highlight looks good. And the bust, I'm glad I already posted my superheroes, I'd be trying to copy this otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe you can try painting it after the Challenge, just for fun? :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent brushwork Tamsin - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Tamsin! I particularly like the bust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That bust was surprisingly quick to paint. :)

      Delete
  4. The bust is absolutely great, and the highlights on the lady came out very well. Very nice work, Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'm pleased with how the highlights came out on the dress. :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely work, Tamsin! I like the lady spy in purple, but that dredd bust looks amazing! It almost seems a cover for an Alex Ross comic book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work Tamisin. Bring on the veggies

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's brilliant Tamsin, the lady's dress is almost see through in one picture and the Judge Dredd face paint is awesome (I don't like using the word awesome but this is really awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work here, especially on the Dredd. I have a couple of Batman, Dredd crossover comics that are worth a read. I think that qualifies him for the Superhero category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have the crossovers as collections. :)

      Delete
  9. Splendid looking Dredd the superhero and great looking limo ride!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, love him Tasmin,I want the large one just for my desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you go back to my B&W post, I put the link there to the file on Thingiverse. :)

      Delete
  11. Great painting Tamsin that purple is to fie for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely, while dangerous looking spy, and you've don a cracking job on doing Sly's (lower) face on the bust. Great brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      Sly? As in Stallone? He's never played Dredd (ask any true fan - there was no 1995 film!). Dredd's chin was actually based on Clint Eastwood's.

      Delete
  13. Super bust, and great work on the secret agent!

    ReplyDelete