Wednesday 27 December 2023

From Barks- Old and new (Front Desk) (Fantasy) (85 points)

I'm stomping my way into the library. My first entry is my most recent acquisition, the new Biovore sculpt. This is a 40K Tyranid with a symbiotic ranged weapon* on its back. This spits out spore mines, which are exploding jellyfish balloon thingies. I really like spore mines as a concept.

Biovore and friends

He's on an 80mm base.

Biovore

Love me some spore mines
The sculpt is rather nice, and the 'gun' can be removed entirely or replaced with one that sprays acid as a close-support 'nid (a 'Pyrovore'). It's a bit of a challenge to parse the sculpt and work out which bits are claws, shell, armour, fleshy bits etc.

Pyrovore

No ranged weapon. A useful xeno-arachnid thingy.

I was going to place this next entry under 'Overdues & Returns', but was a bit bamboozled by the well-trod library pathways. Luckily, it fits under 'Fantasy'. These are Razorwings from the Battlelore boardgame. I got them back in 2015 and they've followed me on multiple house moves etc. I keep a list of miniatures to do during a Challenge, and these have stayed on it for many years, neglected. No more! They're AP Speedpaints; mostly Warrior Skin and Ruddy Fur.

Battlelore Razorwings

1x 28mm bug: 15 points?

6x flying beasties: 24 points?

Front desk: 20 points

Fantasy: 20 points

* Frankly I find the idea of a bug that can shoot, offensive.


__________________________________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Barks!

Terrific opening gambit, sir. I really like both your giant bats and your Biovore, though I, who has an almost pathological fear of spiders, must agree with you that the whole concept of malicious bugs sporting guns to be rather horrifying - but I guess that's the whole point.

Let's pitch the Biovore as a small vehicle (15), but the rest as 28mm 'infantry', so 85 points total.

I look forward to your oncoming entries, Barks!

- Curt 

32 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the biovore. I enjoyed painting a tyranid force long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself accruing one currently. Nom nom nom!

      Delete
  2. Those Razorwings look good, AP speed paints did the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teemu! I shouldn't have put them off for so many years.

      Delete
  3. Looking good mate. Loved the low key Starship Troopers reference too :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. who thinks up these cool ideas jellyfish balloon things is way to cool, and I love what you've done with them great colours,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of them languidly drifting about as people scramble out of their way.

      Delete
  5. Nice work, Barks. The new 'Nid Biovore looks great, and the Razorwings are cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love a good biovore! Great work Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spitting mines, what is not to like. Great brush work and equally nasty looking little flying things. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to imagine the organic sounds as it fires. Ew!

      Delete
  8. Brilliant, those colours and the wash effect look great together

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an inspired scheme Barks, suitably niddy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sander! I may have done things differently with hindsight, but I'm committed to the scheme now!

      Delete
  10. Some awesome weirdness there mate 👍

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bug looks like the stories one hears about Antipodean fauna. Yuck! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff, that carapace in particular is really well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stomping indeed. Lovely work though! I like the razorwings too, nice models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always useful to have lots of critters.

      Delete
  14. This a great platter of beasties!

    ReplyDelete