Wednesday 27 December 2023

From Barks: Post-apocalyptic homages (Romance)(Statue of a famous person)(61 points)

In this library, the Statue of a Famous Person is of Buddy Holly.

Sort of.

Buddy

This is an homage to Buddy, the guitar-wielding ronin of Six-String Samurai. In the post-apocalyptic far future of 1997, Elvis has died and Buddy must travel to Lost Vegas to become the new king of rock 'n' roll. On his journey, he is accompanied by The Kid.

Buddy and The Kid

The Kid



Trailer:

Who says you can't have a meet-cute after the apocalypse? Turbo Kid is the story of Turbo Kid and the aggressively upbeat and quirky Apple. This film comes from the made-up imagi-nation of 'Canada'. Preposterous.

Apple and Turbo Kid

Turbo Kid

Apple



Trailer:

I also painted some skullz, to get my foot in the door for the Skull Duel. These are from a Mantic Terrain Crate. Each has twenty-seven skullz.

Skullz!
4x 28mm 3D prints from Imitation of Life (20 points)
Terrain 3x (2" x 1" x 0.5") (1 point)

Statue of a Famous Person (20 points)
Romance (20 points)

Skull Duel (Skull-o-meter™: 81 skullz)


__________________________________________________

Okay, I love this entry.

That Buddy Holly mini is pure awesomesauce, especially the work on the six string (ie katana scabard), the hair and the flesh tones. That being said, I also really admire the super vibrant colours of the Turbo Kid and Apple (especially her trippy hair). 

I had to watch both movie trailers and I'm know what I'm watching tomorrow. Side-by-side I think Turbo Kid will take it, but I'm Canadian, so I'm biased. 

The takeaway from all this is that Barks watches some very weird sh*t. 

- Curt

PS: The skull 'terrain' is criminal - you should be ashamed. (Printing some now...)

45 comments:

  1. firstly the skulls now that's a giggle very nicely done, love the rest samurai guitar, never heard of it before now, will be watch the shorts on the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Barks, that's what's nice about this challenge , such a varied and unusual range of subject matter - well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great opportunity to paint models that wouldn't be in the top of my queue.

      Delete
  3. Those entries are just plain barking. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What q great entry Barks, Buddy is my favourite, the crispness of your painting really brings him to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sander, it is mostly AP Speedpaints!

      Delete
  5. What a cool set if figures Barks, absolutely love the guitar dude 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy good entry. Guitar lord is awesome plus the Turbo Kid and Apple are stunning. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Barks, especially Buddy. That fictional nation of Canada is actually called Soviet Canuckistan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really can get a mini of anyone these days can't you? Great idea on the skull counting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm going to paint skullz, they're going in the Challenge.

      Delete
  9. You really can get a mini of anyone these days can't you? Great idea on the skull counting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Buddy Holly figure, he's one of my favourite singers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... this post has a bit too much going on for me... too much awesome put together! Great painting - check. Amazing movies ( that I must go and find now ) - check. 2 more zones covered - check check... great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work Barks! Some very fun movies too. I've added both to my to watch list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that’s a great Buddy !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great stuff mate. For me, Buddy Holly will always be hanging upside down in the Young Ones house :-P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just piles of skulls with no other terrain or figures attached. That seems a little cheap. Cool looking figures and some interesting movie suggestions though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is…… nuts! What a brilliant entry and two trailers I’d never have seen otherwise. As a fan of post apocalyptic stuff, I really like all of this post the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was familiar with a lot of post-apocalypse films- I was not!

      Delete
  17. A rather eclectic but brilliant entry, your Buddy Holly is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great entry Barks, well done mate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous Barks, great stuff

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking good, Barks. Very eclectic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's always something unexpected in the challenge, some brilliant miniatures here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great excuse to paint figures that don't fit in anywhere else!

      Delete