Friday 19 January 2024

From KentG: 28mm French revolutionary wars, ACW Ambulance set, Russian Pavlov guard, maritime, statue, captain cook, (5 Library entries)(370pts)

With this weeks submission I'm hitting the Library pretty hard
knocking off 4 different categories, with an array of different figures.
It's been one of those weeks when, I kept getting side tracked by little 
projects here and there and the majority of what I was going to submit
ended up sitting at the back of the painting table unpainted, a few very hot 
days made it almost impossible to paint which was a shame, 
but I'm happy with what I've managed to complete.


First up we have 24 Wargames Foundry 28mm Pavlov guard
these chaps have been waiting two years for me to paint they are the very 
last figures in a large Russian army which has now 19 regiments of figures
 all Foundry minis, which I personally think was are some of the best minis in 
the their Napoleonic range.



I didn't have a second standard bearer which was a shame



I've always loved seeing Napoleonic armies ranked up
I think it was one of the reasons I started into gaming 
and has always been a passion of Mine to paint Napoleonic armies


Library progress please ignore the tick on the rare just above 
Made a wee mistake will correct next time I post


Next we have what I am calling Captain Hook which is my first entry 
into the Library under the Children's book section. As the competition 
began a good  friend gave me an assortment of minis he didn't want which
 included about 40 pirates, which after painting this chap I think I'll 
have a lot of fun painting. they are by irregular miniatures



This set is by Wargames Atlantic
It's been 3D printed, I was very lucky and Wargames Atlantic gave me complete 
assess to all the STL files for free and this was one of the sets I decided to print out


As you can see the figures have great detail and they were a pleasure to paint up


I did have fun with these chaps all their bayonets broke off and 
I did snap a musket in half but a bit of super glue managed to fix it
 after about 10 minutes of searching around for it that is.



when I got the figures back from the printer, there was no
 headless body so I chopped up a French casualty figure trimmed off the 
cartridge pouch and extra bits broke the right arm off, used some 
green stuff to get it into the right position and bobs your uncle we
 have our poor headless chap.




they have obviously been busy with their morning loping sessions 
as two poor fellows have already heads 

The base is 3mm Mdf and this is why it wasn't in last weeks entry.
 My wife said you can't enter that without a good base. 
Two hours later I had hand painted the base and she is right it brings it all together



I feel a bit sorry for the poor chap being paraded around


My second entry into the Library is under, oversized books as the base that 
I had available for this set was a bit to big, which meant I ended up adding 
a few more figures to the scene plus some goats

this is a Perry Miniatures ACW Ambulance set all metals
I've painted it up as confederates after seeing a picture on line that I thought was cool


I had a lot of fun with this set, I used some water effects on the road 
hoping it would look like they had some recent rain in the area



I had to pack under the wheels some card to stop it sinking into the 
filler I had used on the base. The wagon being all metal was just to 
heavy and it had to be the correct height for the guys lifting the wounded 
man out of the back



I used a little bit of green stuff to make an apple placed it in the guy at the 
front so he could feed the goat with his head tilled up


Next entry into the Library is under maritime, 1/2400 scale
Duke of York Commissioned into the Royal Navy on 4th November 1941 


this is part of a small batch of minis that have been hiding in a 
deep dark space simply because I couldn't work out how to paint them or base them



My final entry into the Library is a 28mm statue of
 Maj Gen George E Pickett
Just happened to be sitting in my box of bits
he is 28mm Perry Miniatures Metal and a really nice figure



   
 Well it's been another fun week of painting if not a little all over the place,
 I have been having so much fun going over everybody's posts. 
It is so cool to see so many wonderful minis that in many cases 
have just sat about for years.

            Points for this week 264pts

            24 x 28mm Pavlov guard = 120pts
            1 x 28mm Captain hook figure = 5pts
            9 x 28mm revolution set figures = 45pts
            1 guillotine & platform = 10pts
            11 x 28mm ACW foot = 55pts
            Wagon 10pts, horse 5pts = 15pts (not sure on this one)
            2 goats = 2pts
            1 1/2400 scale ship = 2pts
            1 x 28mm cavalry = 10pts 

            Library entries total 100pts
            
            Children's books 20pts
            maritime 20pts
            The statue of famous Person 20pts
            Oversized books 20pts

            Grand total of 344 pts
            
From Millsy: What an absolutely smashing post Kent! So much here to comment on I hardly know where to start! 

The Pavlovs are such an iconic unit and you have done a superb job on them especially their mitres. The top pick for me though is the two vignettes which are just wonderful and so packed with character. They remind me very much of the work of Michael Awdry who we sadly don't see in the Challenge any longer. Any comparison to Michael's work is a compliment in and of itself and I know he would love these scenes.

Cracking effort mate and I've given you a few extra points for the bases to round you up to 350.

14 comments:

  1. You've had a busy week Kent, did you sleep? aa superb set of vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy a usual , my favourite is Captain Hook … though the guillotine scene has something excitingly macabre about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice set of different miniatures, all very high quality. I like the ranked up Napoleonics, too, they look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some quality work Kent. I love the Guillotine set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post - loved seeing the different variety of periods and figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent stuff, I concur with Millsy on the resemblence to Mr Awdrys work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that ambulance vignette- lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the grenadiers, I used the same shade of green for mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Guards and Hook are great, but those vignettes are superb little works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smashing submission Kent with loads to choose from. The guards are my favorite and the vignettes superb. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The vignettes are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great set of figs at a great standard. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really nice set of figures and vessels, excellent work

    ReplyDelete