Sunday 7 January 2024

JezT - Romano-British Arthurian Infantry 28mm (125 points)

Hello all and special greeting to fellow Sunday team members, 

Really enjoying being part of the challenge again and pleased to complete this first post that is perfect for the Library "New Acquisitions" category. Five packs of recently acquired Gripping Beast Dark Age infantry - as I live in Kenilworth Warwickshire UK was able to drive and pick these up direct from the factory floor in nearby Evesham.


love it when you get a group finished ........


Figures on a sabot base for use in basic impetus games

Five packs are 20 figures, these are all individually based but I will use them on a sabot base to play Basic Impetus. Here I wanted some expansion figures to be able to field a new Romano British "Arthurian" army. These will build on the basic levy fyrd Anglo Saxon's I already have. In closer detail we have:


Can use these basic spearmen to add variety in my later Anglo Saxon army


These are sold as a Pict Command group but I really liked the balance of models you get 


with Arthurian style painted shields featuring the "Chi Rho" early Christian symbol

Finally a pack of archers:

Choose this pack as especially like two figures on left that I can use as Viking mercenary skirmishers in a later Anglo Saxon army


Points wise a simple 20 figures @ 5 plus 20 for the library new acquisitions room - 120 points. 

Have  a great week painting! Cheers Jez

A great first post here Jez! Love Gripping Beast models and very jealous that you are so near them to pick them up in person! And these are lovely sculpts and great work getting them painted up. Especially loving the work you have put into the shields there. Normally we see transfers but those look to be freehand painted! Great work, and honestly going to have to give you an extra 5 pts for that extra effort there! 

Kyle



26 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - always love to see Dark Age figures and great job on the hand painted shields !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh it’s a late antiquity field day. Lovely work on these GB Arthurians Jez. I have many of these figures. Love, love, love those sheilds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arturian British are in my line of sight for Saga too. These look great and inspiring for my future painting work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you in the Challenge Jez, great start 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Jez! Love the shields. Very jealous you can drop by and pick these up yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt - the building is in a small factory industrial site on the outskirts of Evesham - they are very open to visitors but you always end up buying more than you planned ..

      Delete
    2. Haha, very wise to welcome visitors on their part then! ;)

      Delete
  7. I do like this era and you’ve done a cracking job on them, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great looking figures. I've got some of those I painted years ago but I like yours better. The hand painted shields are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great first entry Jez I'm sure they will do their part on the gaming table

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely painting here. Big fan of gripping beast

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the banners and shields!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely entry Jez and I suspect you're making us all jealous of the fact you can visit GB so easily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to take a photo next time I visit ...

      Delete
  13. Great work Jez. Love the shields. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work Jez. Love the shields. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job, Jez! Must be very expensive to live near the factory...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi as I am in the Midlands UK also well placed to attend the Newark wargame shows !

      Delete
  16. Nice work on these. Even better planning as you can use them for multiple forces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work Jez, I miss my trips to the Gripping Beast factory.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Smart thinking with those sabot bases and great paintjob Jez!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking good here Jez, I particularly like the priest sculpt beseeching the heavens for support!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great looking Dark Ages forces. I like the shields

    ReplyDelete