Thursday 24 December 2015

From SamuliS - Regiment Prinz Friedrich August (82 points)

For my second entry I have something will be one of my major projects for the Painting Challenge and for this winter and next spring as well. The next Napoleonic campaign at my club will be 1813-14 for which we are sorely lacking in smaller nations still. So bravely enough I volunteered to paint the Saxon Corps commanded by General Reynier. It might have been a good idea to actually check how many troops I need to do before picking my subject, but then again I've never been known for being too cautious. So at the moment I'm looking at roughly 700 minis needing painting and with our campaign start moved up from late next year to late spring, this might  prove to be quite a momentous task. Luckily for the first few battles only a minority of the Saxons were ever present.



The first completed regiment from my assembly line is the Regiment Prinz Friedrich August. I can only claim points for the 1st Battalion though as I had finished the second a bit before the challenge. I had been planning to do both before Sunday, but figured I wouldn't have enough time and left the other one for my second entry. Still I guess showing the complete Regiment at the same time doesn't hurt even if I only did the basing for the second one during the challenge.





The miniatures are from AB and are amazing quality wise. Too bad there's only 4 different poses so bases can end up looking a bit monotone. I tried to vary the trouser colours a bit to make them a bit more interesting. Surprisingly time consuming to paint even though most of it is only white, but there is tons of small details that can be picked out and the white just needs so many layers to cover properly. With these I'm working from a white basecoat blocking out all the colours before applying a black wash to provide some shading and pick out all the straps etc. Then a few highlight layers and all done. Finally I added some GMB flags to bring them to life.




With these done I'll take about a week off from painting as we're heading of to visit relatives and then stay at our cottage for a few days before New Years. To finish off here's a few Christmas decorations that I did as it's the first time we have a Christmas tree at home and I felt it needed some appropriate decoration. Both are from Scibor and are resin. The dwarf is about 28mm scale while the zombified Santa is quite a bit larger. The dwarf in his diving ball was actually bit of a test mini for Mig's chipping fluids before I use them on something more important. Worked out as advertised, but the effect was maybe a bit too severe as the "Heavy Chipping Effects" really does take huge chunks of paint away. Might have to stick to the normal one in the future.

Finally I wish happy holidays to each and everyone of you guys! Hopefully you have been nice and Santa has been generous to you! Keep the brushes swinging and see you next year!















Oh wow, gorgeous stuff Samuli. Though I have not painted any for a long time, the Napoleonic period is my all-time favourite and these Saxons do not disappoint. Absolutely marvelous stuff (and I agree, the AB castings are top-shelf material to work from). 
Those 'Holiday Ornaments' are rather 'out-there', but fantastic nonetheless. The weathering effect on the dwarf diving bell looks great and the skin on the Zombie Santa is perfectly ghoulish. I'm going to give a few more points for these. Wonderful work Samuli and Happy Christmas!

Edit by Minion Tamsin - points adjusted as AB figures are being scored as 20mm

23 comments:

  1. Those Saxons look great that green realy pops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. Been a long time since I did napoleon's models. Are these 1/72 scale? Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15/18mm. The AB ones are supposed to be 15mm but are really quite a bit taller than for example Essex

      Delete
  3. Well done on the Naps. The green is striking. But the christmas tree decoration is just fabulous. Must hide it from my missus, otherwise we'd finaly need a tree next year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Saxons, great looking units. Good job on the ornaments, but the zombie Claus wouldn't hang in my tree. When I did 15s, I loved the AB figures and the Battle Honours figures from Barton's prior work.
    Well done, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Saxons are very good but those ornaments are outstanding. A very Merry Christmas to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well those Saxons look just great! With 700 to do you have your work cut out!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Saxons and love the baubles!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Saxons are great, but those baubles take the cake, the Christmas pudding, AND the mince pies! Terrific work, Samuli!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent to see some bright Napoleonic figures take the field.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Saxons are fantastic. Nice to see AB figures getting the attention they deserve.
    Less said about the zombie Santa the better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Saxon's I thought they were 28's!!!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not think that 15mm Napoleonic could look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Saxons and I love AB miniatures so what's not to like? You've done a cracking job on them Samuli, especially the white uniforms!

    If you want to throw in a little extra variation look at the Eureka early Saxons in bicornes. They are lovely sculpts too and mix perfectly with the AB range as they were designed to compliment it. They even have cavalry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking about mixing those minis with the AB ones, but wasn't really sure because they have the older uniform. Might be OK with some small conversions. I guess I'll have to try to do some research to see if in 1813 they mixed and matched the old and new uniforms to replace the losses in men and material.

      Delete
  14. So jealous of those ornaments! I'll have to get some for myself for next year.

    Even though I don't play Napoleonics, I can always tell an AB unit just by looking. I love their figures. 700 to paint, though! Good luck to you--looking forward to seeing the project unfold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly recommend getting some of the stuff Scibor does. Really amazing miniatures and quite a few other ornaments there as well.

      I have a feeling I will never achieve the 700. But luckily about a third of them are French battalions and our club already has thousands of 15mm French minis so those aren't so essential.

      Delete
  15. And more great looking Russian Infantry! They turned out great, but the ornaments have quite clearly upstaged them! ;)

    ReplyDelete