Sunday 25 December 2016

From AnthonyO: First Week - Mixed units of Pulp, Chaos and Zweihanders (115 points)

This is the first time I have been a part of the challenge and I am eagerly looking forward to seeing it through. I have a number of forces I am currently painting so this gives some an opportunity to add to them or finish them off. I am heavily involved with the game of Bolt Action and have a number of forces for Kings of War in progress so most of my choices will be 28mm. If I get the time I will also have a crack at completing a Flames of War 15mm force.

French Foreign Legion - 28mm by Pulp Miniatures

These 10 miniatures are from the Pulp Miniatures range and form the third squad and another command unit for my Vichy FFL force for Bolt Action. The intention for this force is to mix them with a squad or two of German DAK to add some character and run them as a different looking force under German rules.





Large Chaos Warriors - 28mm (Large) by Scibor


I inherited these guys (as well as all of my Chaos type force) in exchange for painting a Bolt Action army for a friend and have undertaken to make a playable force. These guys can be Ogres or other large warrior types and I wanted them to look like they are full of pestilence and plague.




Human Two-Handed Swordsman - 28mm by Games Workshop

Forming a 10 man unit these two-handed swordsman will form a small aggressive attack unit in a Forces of Man army for Kings of War. Again I obtained these guys under a trade and have completed about 70% of the force so far and was looking at adding some extra units to allow some flexibility.




__________________________

Absolutely lovely work Anthony. Bob Murch of Pulp Figures is a fellow Canadian and I'm a great fan of his work. His sculpts always have that quintessential 50's 'Boys' Adventure' feel about them. You've done a lovely job on this crew - I particularly like the blue robbed Berber. 

Great work on the Scibor models. I like the mottled green armour on these chaos warriors. Very nasty looking fellows indeed.

I love seeing the GW 'Zweihanders' getting some love. These look terrific. Great work on the striped pattern on their uniforms and their coulourful plumage. I've heard that Kings of War offers a good refuge for all those Warhammer players who felt left in the cold after the implosion of their IP with their 'Age of Sigmar'.

Great work Anthony and welcome to the asylum!
 

29 comments:

  1. Fantastic. I do like your painting style. And welcome to the madness. Your Minion will be along later with the medication. (I like the orange pills they make me Happy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work - I love the shading and highlights on the FFL especially. Really makes the khaki POP and gives an otherwise drab color some excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, I do like the skintone in the first lot of figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Scibor minis are great - heaps of character! Excellent work all round!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the legionnaires, they look great, nice ogres but my favourites are the two handed swordsmen, they look great in their stripes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Vichy are stunning! Great to have you join our not so little club and I am really looking forward to more of your work. Top draw stuff indeed

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done a fantastic job on all those figures! I keep changing my mind over which ones I like the best...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice brushwork. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the tallyboard Patch. Fantastic paint jobs all around, I love the FFL and the Two Handed Swordsmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your entries soon

      Delete
  10. A lovely potpourri to kick things off. Your interests largely map to mine, so I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic work you have a great style very pleasing to the eye

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work. A great first entry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice eclectic mob, Anthony!
    The nurgle fighters and greatsword troops are very nice, but I like that blue on the native guide with the same color spotting in on the legionaires. Very nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the look of these, the combination old school figures and old school paint style work very well together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent work! Especially the FFL has captured my eye. Not surprising for a WW2 nut like me though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All three are excellent entries. Great kick off to your Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great work. I love the pulp figures, especially the huge loon with the axe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome aboard Anthony! These are absolutely gorgeous and I can't pick which I like best. You have a bold style that really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those pulp figures are great and I'm a big fan of the zweihanders - they have buts from a few GW kits unless I miss my guess?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very fine work. You have a real talent for skin tones. I especially like the bearded bare-chested fellow with the axe. Very sexy, my wife thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. brilliant entry, the colours are so well-chosen and vibrantly executed, just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely rich tones and vibrant blues!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome, welcome, welcome Anthony! What a great entry - everything we love about the Challenge - colourful, eclectic, super painting and a bit of 'Zweihander' madness as well. Top work, Sir!

    ReplyDelete