Sunday 25 December 2016

From IanW: 6mm Macedonian Phalanx (200 Points)

This is going to be the biggest single submission I will be submitting points wise. It's the first time I have tried to paint up four 96 figure blocks and it went better than I expected though gluing the pikes into their hands was a bit of a strain but was finally finished at 6am Christmas day!


Followers of previous challengers will have seen these guys before. Last year I think I painted up possibly 5 units over two different posts. They are Baccus miniatures and I always go for the open handed option rather than cast pikes.


The star design on the shields is created via Micron watercolour pens, mine are the 0.25mm ones. Unfortunately the black one packed in part way through one of the blocks and I had to switch first to paint and brush then onto a thicker pen so not the best finish. Not that the stars look any good close up but from a distance they look fine.


One unit is in red tunics, another blue and two in green. I am using these colours to define which formation they belong to. Or can mix them depending on how we play them. 


The pikes are brush bristles cut down to size. They are really springy and tend to survive contact when they get caught. Better still they don't get all bent and curly. They are not the perfect solution but I can put up with the mixed thickness that you get and whilst it takes 45 minutes per block to attach them it's worth it.


My aim is to have twenty of these blocks done at some point. I now have fourteen with four new shinny ones from Santa that I will try and get done before the challenge ends. That will be just under 2000 figures and 1.2 meters long one unit deep. I guess I will have to take them over to Lee's to use them! We actually plan a game at Joy of Six once we have both sides all painted up.


Points wise that's 384 upright figures for 192 points with 13 infantry casualty figures and two mounted for an extra  7.5 points! Not the biggest points bomb dropped but it's probably the biggest little bomb LOL 

Next up will probably be more Prussian 15mm before I head back to yet more 6mm but not Macedonian. 

______________________________________

A briefcase paint nuke!

Wow, I'm always struck by how impressive these look, Ian. I just love 'em. I can't imagine the patience it takes to get all those pikes put into place - but the payoff is amazing. And the inclusion of a few casualties and command just adds to the spectacle.

I'm going to, of course, round this off to an even 200 points. Brilliant work Ian!

30 comments:

  1. Wow - that's really all I can manage - super impressive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these look vrey cool, like the idea of the pikes I could see them being a death trap if metal pikes. I hope you have a good lie down now.
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking stuff Ian... love you he bristle boys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnificent stuff Ian. You must have the best eyesight going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work Ian, you have been a busy boy!! Love all the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work! And excellent eyesight, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic looking mini minis, hats off in the little men league! They do look great.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff, some really nice touches on the bases too which finishes off perfectly, Phalanxtastic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very impressive, I can't believe all the detail you bring to life on such tiny models!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those tiny pikes! Look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One word: EPIC.

    I'm painting up some 6mm Baccus ashigaru with pikes for the Challenge, and they come with cast pikes, unfortunately. I'd love to use your bristle technique, but I'd have to cut all the pikes off and drill holes in every hand, and I am simply not that crazy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just awesome! I would love to play a game with these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just awesome! I would love to play a game with these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply stunning. Well done indeed Ian - cant wait to see 20 of them lined up. A meter of pike in 6mm is a wonderful kind of madness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bloody marvellous, almost lost for words

    ReplyDelete
  16. That parting shot of the phalanx is totally worth the effort, Ian! They look truly epic and the casualty figures really add some drama to them too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha MADNESS!! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that's truly impressive Ian! It really gives you the feel for those huge formations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My head hurts just thinking about this. Impressive stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ian, your work always amazes me. I'm really looking forward to seeing the full 20 block phalanx, all 1.2 metres if it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Inspiring and really looking forward to seeing the full twenty block when completed.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks guys, working on 15mm at the moment to re-align my eyes LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant, but utterly bonkers! I've no idea how you et through them but they do look a treat all together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG this is unbelievable. Utterly fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really excellent work, Ian. I well remember seeing their comrades at Partizan and I was blown away by them. These guys are just as good. They look brilliant en masse, but really look very fine close up. Terrific!!

    ReplyDelete