Saturday 23 February 2019

From MichaelA - Any old iron? Any old iron? (75 Points)

Any, any, any old iron?


A rare post from me this morning, in fact I am painfully aware that I have not been as prolific as in previous years. That said, I have been beavering away and have a number of Star Wars related projects all starting to come to fruition and hopefully in time to share before the end of the Challenge! So on that note, and without any further ado, let me present my latest efforts. 

I have a hankering for a Tatooine themed board for Star Wars: Legion and nothing says Tatooine more than Jawas and Droids.  I had already painted several of these wasteland natives courtesy of Imperial Assault, but have added to these with some Wizards of the Coast pre-painted Star Wars Miniatures and some new 3D printed sculpts from Skull Forge Studios.  All were primed, including the pre-painted ones, which on reflection seemed a waste of time, and based to match the existing models in my collection.  


The 3D sculpts were lovely, but a little smaller than I imagined so I decided to raise them a tad with a an additional washer.  Then, following a painting tutorial from Sorastro, set about polishing off half a dozen of the little scrap metal merchants, before turning my attention to their stock and trade.  I seem to have amassed quite an assortment of Droids from various benefactors and manufactures over the years.  They have sat idle for far too long whilst I pondered over colours and designations.  Now, with time against me, I decided to stop prevaricating and get on with it!


With decisions made and research completed, I was pleasantly surprised and how quickly I managed to get through them.  Having decided that these droids were going to have found themselves abandoned on 'such a desolate place', they were given a fair amount of rust and weathering, which had the added advantage of concealing a multitude of mistakes.

With regards to points we have 16 x 28mm scaled miniatures. That said I am happy to concede that two of the droids, ASP-7 and the A4-Series Lab Droid were only really rebased, washed and weathered so perhaps only worth 5 points for the pair? Hopefully adding 75 points to my meagre tally.


_______________________________

Ahh, any day with an M.Awdry submission is a great day (and the same goes for any post being able to fit in the word 'prevaricating'). Wonderful work Michael! Maybe it was their funny speach and mysterious, shrouded faces, but ever since I was a wee sprout seeing the first Star Wars movie I've always had a soft spot for the Jawas.  I think your choice to repaint and rebase the WoC models was a good one, as now they look like a cohesive group. I also like that you included small bits of droid parts and various scrap to their bases - very evocative. The variety of droids a fabulous treat as well. I especially like the colour and weathering on the green GNK droid. Lovely work Michael. 

75 point for your tally Mr. Awdry - Well done! Next, to keep in theme, we need to see some Tusken Raiders from you. ;)


17 comments:

  1. These ARE the droids we're looking for! Great work Michael they're up to your usual high standard and a true joy to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work Michael :)

    Using rust and weathering to hide mistakes? No, I definitely did not do that on the Lady Sarah! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. marvellous, been missing your glorious output

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small but perfetly formed. Really great work - I need to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Isn't Tres Cool a member of a band? Green Day or The Offspring?

      Delete
  6. Always nice to see your output,up to your established high standard, lovely droids and jawas!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do want to see your full table Michael. Cracking stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab work Michael! Brings back fond memories indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As expected very creative and looks wonderful Micheal!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe not as prolific in quantity but your quality scale is as good as ever Michael! Wonderfully thematic droids (not the ones I was looking for, obviously!) and those Jawas are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking droids and Jawas. The weathering is really good, they look like they've seen a lot of hard use.

    ReplyDelete