Wednesday 6 February 2019

From Millsy: Mounted Hospitaller Sergeants (90 points)

Hi All,

As promised here's another instalment of mounted troops for my Crusader army. This time it's a unit of mounted Hospitaller sergeants in their iconic all-black outfits. Choice bro! Once again the miniatures are all from Fireforge Games and comprise a combination of parts from the Mounted Sergeants and Templar Knights box sets.



I'm getting to the point now where I could probably paint the heraldic stuff in my sleep *. The biggest challenge is deciding something is good enough and resisting the urge to do further touch ups and tweaks.





Another 80 points for my total and another mouthful or DaveD's dust in our side duel. I like to think I'm sitting pretty up here on the moral high ground. Yeah that's it.

Next up? You guessed it, more mounted troops. Thankfully for everyone, especially me, there's only 2 more units of troops and 4 command stands to go...

* That would be an absolute blessing!

Cheers,
Millsy
__________________________________________________________________

This is getting to be bigger than Ben-Hur! 

So let's see... 80 points for the figures, another 8 for the handpainted shields, and we'll round it up with another two points for the pennons and caparisons because I'm still in a good mood after getting back from my holiday (don't worry, depression will soon set in and I'll be back to my usual grumpy self).

90 points to the gentleman in the black and white surcoat!

Ev

19 comments:

  1. A lovely set of Crusaders Millsy!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring stuff, I have some of their dismounted brethren on my painting desk as I type.
    Great work on the heraldry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Millsy. Love the subtle work on the black (the trickiest of colours to work with), heraldry and the basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I don't mind black at all, the trick is just getting the right mix for the highlight. I use 50/50 flat black and Vallejo Model Color Black Grey 70862.

      Yellow on the other hand often makes me use ALL the bad words...

      Delete
    2. Yup, that's a good recipe for sure. The other way is to go quite light with an upper grey highlight and then do a thin wash or glaze with something like midnight blue or even a bluish green. This works great for simulating black armour.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, these look just smashing Millsy. Cripes, these guys must have been hot as hell trotting around the Levant in those getups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Says the Snowlord. :-) Sometime you just have to sacrifice comfort for style...

      Delete
  5. They look great! Well done on the black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely job Millsy ... the whole force photo is going to look ace..

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving your work on these, gimme more

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent. Very striking looking. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking religious orders!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to seeing the group shot; they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. More lovely crusaders. You're really tempting me to get my own Fireforge knights onto the painting table - but they're not part of the plan. Not likely to end up as well done as these, either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome Millsy, top-shelf stuff.
    I find the Fireforge stuff harder to come by...did they stop producing these kits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! Not that I am aware of. Wayland Games where I get a lot of my stuff do have very intermittent stock but the FFG website itself always has them. Not sure about anywhere else.

      Delete