Thursday 28 February 2019

From NoelW for Thursday: A rose by any other name (65 points)

(I don't know why, but two of my posts were going to be titled with quotes from Romeo and Juliet this week - the palm tree post would have been "palm to palm" from the sonnet where they first meet. Fortunately, I changed my mind!)

My final offering this week consists of a few more medievals - some of my favourite figures to work on, even though medieval battles themselves can sometimes be boringly similar - slogfests, in many cases. But I just love the spectacle of banners and caparisons and coats of arms.

I also particularly like Perry plastic medievals. I assemble far more of them than is reasonable, and always have some on the go. This time it's more men at arms for the Wars of the Roses, but with half an eye to adding figures to the Burgundian army, too. Here's half a dozen of them:



And another seven:



You'll see I painted one leader figure in the base livery of Henry Tudor in case I want to use him as a dismounted hero figure in some context, such as a skirmish game. Otherwise, he'll act as a captain within the Tudor contingent at Bosworth.


And, for those who like such things, here are some of the better individuals:











  Finally, three mass shots:




That's 13 figures, so 65 points.

As the end of the Challenge looms, I'm wondering which other projects from the many I've begun I should try to close down before time runs out. There are at least nine squirrel-worthy projects that might temporarily grab my attention, but I don't know where I'll find myself next. I'm pretty sure I'll reach 5000 points, which is great as it's twice my target. But I might even be able to stretch a little further than that, once the drugs kick in...

More lovely Perry plastics! It's a great set and you've done a fine job on them! Of course you could get the mercenaries set and add some of the Perry 16th century heads and maybe the Warlord plastic landsknechts and unleash your inner squirrel into the great Italian wars! 65 points it is!
All the best Iain

13 comments:

  1. Nic work on these men at arms Noel, the armour and levers came out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed Noel- the Perry HYW Plastics are singing their siren song to me for after the challenge. Your post doesn't help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great mix of knightly types. The Perry models do paint up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Projects I should try to close down..."
    Heresy! Bring forth the penitent-painting engine! I'm sure Curt has one...
    Excellent work - they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent looking foot knights. Looking lethal. Great result on these excellent miniatures. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Noel. I remember building these very same minis a few years ago and thinking what a great boxed set they were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some lovely medieval armour there Noel, stuff of legends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I’ve had my eye on these figures for a while.

    ReplyDelete