Thursday 7 February 2019

From NoelW for Thursday: Wargs and warships (170 points)


This is my last post this week. It has two parts. Firstly, here are 13 Warg riders from Lord of the Rings. Some are metal, some plastic. I painted them in two batches, so that the drybrushing of the wargs created rather different browns, as if they were different breeds. I may add a couple more, perhaps with grey or black fur.

The orcs I found a little difficult to give a satisfactory look. The definition on some of the figures is not perfect, and if you simply paint everything dark and dirty, as seems realistic, the figures as a whole tend to look a mess. I may go back to them at some point and brighten a few elements of some of them, although I’m reasonably happy with the overall effect as a group.







13 28mm mounted figures is 130 points. 1 squirrel.

Like many gamers, I’ve been seduced by Warlord’s Cruel Seas. So the second part of this post is my first attempt at painting MTBs. I’m not a naval gamer, so my approach here has been to copy some of the ideas of others, with the aim of making each ship slightly different so they can be readily identified in a game.




Looking at the photos it seems reasonably obvious I need a better cloth for the sea. This looks far too calm!

I think the going rate for these 1/300th models is 8 points each, so that’s 40 points, I think. And another squirrel.

Great looking orcs and wargs! The dry brushing technique works really well and they're nicely varied! Great to see you getting into cruel sea (I have to admit to being tempted!) They look really good too!
Once more Toby and I are in full agreement with your numbers 170 points it is and another very impressive output for just one week!
All the best Iain

12 comments:

  1. There really is no slowing you down, is there? Great work Noel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. onwards and upwards. nice job on these

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm currently working on some warg riders and hope they turn out as good as these. Great work Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Noel you have been busy.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Noel. Warg Riders are a subject I hope to paint sometime soon myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff. Very nice. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm scarily waiting for the next Squirrel update. It seems it is Noel vs Rest of Us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome amount of work, you're putting the rest of us to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, I must admit to favour the Wargs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, those wargs look dead ‘orrible

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a real sense of momentum to those wargs.

    ReplyDelete