Thursday 7 February 2019

Thursday Dave S And now for something completely different 18 points

So, I've reached the point where I have painted basically nothing but archers since before christmas, and what wasn't archers, was the archer models with billmen arms.  So, with just a small set of Welsh skirmishers and the Captains to paint, I've decided to break it up with something else.

I've been looking at Vanguard by Mantic for a while, and when several of us decided to take the jump, I went with the Northern Alliance box set.  Snow themed forces, with the option to take elves, dwarves and humans, as well as the special stuff, what's not to like.

I've decided that I wanted to paint somthing BIG to begin with, and so, I put together and paitned one of the Snow Trolls from the box.  These are PVC, and I have to confess I hate the material.  I also had a problem with the torso of one of the Trolls in the box, but Mantic had not only replaced that part, but the whole bag with nearly half the models in it, within a few days of me reporting it.




So there he is.  Looking at the photo, I can see the mold line that I missed when I was cleaning him up.  But overall, I'm happy with him.  I've no idea how many points he is.  He is in theory heroic scale 28mm, but the model itself is huge compared to a normal 28mm, so, I'll leave the points to the powers to be.  To help, here's a scale shot.


This troll also represents my first attempt at making a snowy/cold base.  I've used appropriately coloured tufts and army painter snow mixed with PVA glue.  While you can't see it in the photos, there is also a cracked ice pool by his right foot, made with crackle medium, and then cunningly concealed by the photo angle and snow around it.

The second model that this week has seen painted is a more normal sized Witch, that I got from Bad Squiggo Games.  She will do double duty as both a leader in my future Frostgrave force, and also a Priest for my Saga viking force.  She was going to be used as my entry for the Mercenary bonus round, but unfortunately, I ran out of time, so here she appears.



I have tried to make the feather shawl work in a slightly different way.  Rather than my usual highlighting, I have simply covered it with a number of purple washes, aiming to cover less of the shawl each time so that areas that would normally be most highlighted have the most layers.  It's worked better in person than under the camera, but it has proved to be a good way to give the all black model different textures.
So 5 points for her, plus whatever the troll is worth.

Lovely looking witch! The troll is fantastic and a big change from all your archers!
So 5 points for your witch and a 54mm figure is 10 points but as he's a bulky chap let's add a couple of points,oh Toby says three so we can avoid the uneven number,that gives you a total of 18 points!
All the best Iain

                     
                 

12 comments:

  1. I suppose the witch should be up for Sarah's choice as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. A droll witch and a troll which is spellbinding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a big fig on the tabletop, and this one is a corker. Witchiepoo is terrific as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent miniatures and excellent painting. They both are really good but I love the Metallic gold parts and the fur on the big guy. Great stuff. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome painting, love the snow trolls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, the witch certainly has her eye on you......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pale blue/ gold combo, and the witch is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Barks on the pale blue and gold - that is an ace looking combination.

    (I marked it up as a Sarah's Choice in the notes field.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh! I like the old crone/witch figure.
    She looks how I feel some mornings as I head off to work in the -40C we’ve been enduring ☃️

    ReplyDelete