Thursday 21 February 2019

From NoelW (Thursday): More Austrians (327 points):

Meanwhile, I've been pushing on with the 15mm Austrian, in the hope I can complete the entire army before 20th March. I'm posting a couple of Hungarian infantry regiments (one understrength), a regiment of Dragoons, 10 artillery pieces and 14 command stands. This still leaves me quite a few cavalry (hussars and uhlans) and a handful of infantry to complete. Most of the figures are early Minifigs, though there are some that aren't, which I've been unable to identify.

Firstly the infantry (35 figs):



Then the dragoons (20 figs):




Now the command stands (15 mounted figs and 3 foot):



And  the artillery (10 guns and 23 crew):



And finally this mini-army as a whole:



Oh!  did you just see that bushy-tailed rodent dash past?

Here's some Victorian gentlemen:


For many years - many years - I've toyed with the idea of a time travelling game. The idea is that it's a way of linking different parts of the figure collection together, and reviving some figures that have been languishing. True. Any suggestion that it's just an excuse for buying random figures from any odd source I fancy is simply fake news.

I rediscovered these Victorian figures in a drawer. I think they're all by Wargames Foundry. I decided on the spur of the moment to add them to the painting pile. I'm glad I did, because they were fun to paint.

Unfortunately, the flash in the photos doesn't represent them as well as I'd like. It's emphasised the colour contrasts much more than they seem in natural daylight. But this photo has shown me that there's one of these I really haven't done well (the brown figure, second from the right). I probably need to repaint him. Whereas (as we wargamers say) I'm really pleased with Henry Morton Stanley (the middle figure):


and the "Ripper" figure:



whilst the other two, which I intend as a detective and an undertaker, are certainly game-worthy:





Unfortunately, this little dabble has made me want to paint more of these, so I suspect I will be diving into the deeper archaeological layers of the lead pile to see what other treasures can be unearthed. Be prepared.

That's a total of:
15mm: 35 mounted @ 4pts (140), 10 guns @ 4pts (40) and 61 foot @2 pts (122),
28mm: 5 figs = 25pts
making 327 pts overall.


Gosh, that's a lot of Austrians! In fact it's almost the same points as my entire output so far! The white coated infantry and the brown coated artillery with their distinctive yellow gun carriages are fab, your collection of Victorian types are very dapper and I agree 327 points it is!

All the best Iain

13 comments:

  1. Great horde of Whitecoats Noel, and I like your victorian figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the Noel storm continues. Fabulous work. I particularly like those Victorians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another big addition to your points tally. Well done. The Austrians look splendid and the victorians are equally impressive. The Ripper model is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the production line just rolls along... How do you do it? Quality and quantity alike, splendid stuff. I especially like the Victorian gentlemen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Austrians! Great stuff, the Hapsburg chaps always look lovely when they are all ranked up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking stuff - always nice to get most of annay done and those custodians are certainly jolly dapper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on the Austrians, Noel! I quite like the cav and artillery. The Victorian look spiffy too. I think a time traveling game makes great sense. My Marx, Dulcop, and Timpco Indians fought all sorts of foes from dinosaurs to Hitler to Hitler riding dinosaurs piloting spaceships. Too much fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great entry Noel, while your Victorian gentlemen ooze character it's the masses ranks of the Austrians I like best in this entry, lovely work mate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on the Austrians!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful looking Austrians - I've been working on a batch of the buggers also!

    ReplyDelete