Tuesday 12 February 2019

From TamsinP: 28mm Waffen SS (50 points)


My second submission this week is intended for a certain Strontium Dog storyline, "The Schicklgruber Grab", but could be used for historical games as well. As Johnny's target would be guarded by Waffen SS troops, I clearly needed a few of those so I bought a section pack from Warlord Games.

These were also zenithal primed and painted with fairly thin paints, with just the NMM metals being highlighted. Again a thinned dark tone wash was used to black-line the figures. I painted the bases in a more urban ruin colour scheme, appropriate to the story's setting.

Painting the '44 pattern Sumpfmuster camo wasn't as difficult as I'd anticipated, although I did leave out the rain-streak element of the pattern.









Overall, I don't think they came out too bad.

For scoring:

10 x 28mm foot @ 5 = 50 points.




Another great submission, and not a 15mm figure in sight! I  love the camouflage helmets and pea dot smocks. Excellent work as always Tamsin and another 50 points to add to the pile. 
Lee

16 comments:

  1. Top work Tamsin, loved the camo 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word "zenithal" still gives me spasms, but you can't argue with results - great work Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work on this Tamsin. I'll leave both cams and Zenithal priming to the experts! I include you in both categories based on these results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely camo work,great looking SS!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great camo, Tamsin. And really interesting to see how you've used Zenithal priming in two of your posts - a new approach to me, which I'll now have a go at, seeing how your results are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. Hopefully Johnny Alpha can stomp some Nhazees. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully painted camo. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Lee - thanks! There probably won't be any 15mm for a while :)

    @ Ken - cheers! :)

    @ Fran - thanks! :)

    @ Iannick - cheers! :)

    @ Greg - cheers! It can give good results, but does need a bit of practice to get the paints thinned just right. :)

    @ Peter D - thanks and thanks! :)

    @ Iain - cheers! :)

    @ Paul SS - thanks! :)

    @ Noel - cheers! I have used the technique before, but several years ago and back then the "zenithals" were done by drybrushing rather than using an airbrush :)

    @ Christopher - thanks! :)

    @ Brendon - cheers! We can but hope that he does! :)

    @ Stuart L - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work! Punching Nazis is back in vogue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a motley crew! I remember these comics fondly, so great to see the miniatures out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Barks - thanks! Did it ever go out of vogue? :)

    @ JamieM - cheers! :)

    @ Sander - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete