Wednesday 13 March 2019

From StuartL: A Teeny Tiny Group of Marines (37.5 points)

With the final days of the challenge drawing nearer, it is time to start getting stuff finished off and posted. My usual habit when painting is to put things to one side if I get bored working on them, so I have a few half finished batches of models to post up. For my first post of today, I have a bunch of models from Games Workshop's old Epic range.

First of all, a set of 30 tactical marines, a command stand and 4 Rhino APCs. These are all painted up in the colours of the Salamanders chapter. All of the infantry and the vehicles are from the first edition of the Epic game, or Space Marine as it was unimaginatively called back in the day. The exceptions are the command figure right at the front of the shot and the middle figure on the third base from the left. These models came out later.

Next, a unit of 4 Contemptor pattern dreadnoughts. These are from the same set as the command figure above. Trying to paint the details on 6mm minis, including the flame patterns on the shoulder and knees was a challenge. The chapter logo on the shoulder was almost impossible. When viewed up close, they bear more resemblance to the Emperor's Finger-painting Legion.

These are Whirlwind artillery vehicles. Each carries a payload of Crayola Mk.III missiles. 😀 Honestly, I had spare red and yellow paint on the pallet and decided not to waste it. These models come from one of the later editions of the game, which was released at a point where I was taking a break from gaming. I acquired these years later through ebay.

Are these marines really small, or just far away? Painting 6mm is not something that I usually do, but it was fun to give it a shot. I'm quite happy with how these turned out and I have a load more of them stashed away in my hobby room somewhere.

So, to help my diligent and devoted minion along with the scoring.
35x 6mm infantry = 17.5 points
4x 6mm walkers = 4 points
7x 6mm vehicles = 14 points
Total = 35.5 points, plus one more for my Squirrel tally.

Brilliant suggestion, Doctor Stuart! If we shrink these figures down to 6mm then we can inject them into Ev like in Fantastic Voyage.

6mm requires a good balance of shade and highlight to get a pleasing effect on the tabletop, and you've nailed it here. I'm very impressed by the chapter logos on these Salamanders- have some bonus points!

Nurse Barks

7 comments:

  1. Nice work on the wee blighters Stuart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on these Stuart. Glad to see that they at least are properly dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Love the Crayola missiles. Seems fitting for the more can't-we-all-have a BBQ-and-just-get-along Salamanders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an awesome submission - great work! Always so cool to see Epic 30k/40k!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on some wee men and tanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking teeny tiny marines,I really like the crayon missile launchers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. That green is really awesome, it makes the figures look exactly as their up scale brethren, great work!

    ReplyDelete