Wednesday 30 March 2022

from RayR - Challenge Wrap up



First of all, I do apologise for the dodgy picture, this was the best of a very bad bunch! I think my wife was waiting for me to blink or pull an even more stoopid face than this one, and that's me being normal too!!!

Anyway enough with me, this post is about what I managed to get painted after all.
When I put all the figures out on the table they looked a lot, but not so in the photo?


Challenge XII was a first for me, it was the first challenge were I painted exclusively 25-28mm figures. Not s 15mm figure in sight this year?
I did participate in the bonus rounds in the Challenge Quadrant and even finished at the centre. It always helps knock your points total up. Luckily most of the bonus round figures can fit into my onging projects. There were only 9 figures that don't, they will live in the box of doom, never to be seen again, or maybe I'll give them away??


I concentrated on 2 projects this year, the Haitian Revolution above, were I painted up a Spanish unit, a Spanish Militia unit and some more dastardly rebels, as well as some Spanish commanders and Haitian Voodoo priests.


Last year it was the Ottomans, this year it was some of their foe for my Vienna 1683 project.
I painted up some Polish Winged Hussars, Pancerni, Polish Cossacks, three Haiduk regts and some commanders. Also for the Imperialists I painted up a unit of Militia, Cuirassiers and artillery.
The Ottomans did get in on the act receiving some extra commanders and their long awaited artillery.

My main aim like most challengers is to get as much painted as humanly possible, I set myself a goal of 1200 points and hoped for a top 20 finish. The 1200 mark was soon passed and changed up to 2000 points, thinking I might be able to get a top 10 finish this year round? 
I did manage to pass the 2k mark late on, but ran out of time and steam and reached a total of 2168, I did late on try to beat my total last year of 2260, but it wasn't to be. But I did get my highest placing of 7th, since Challenge III in 2012/13 where I finished 4th. So I was well chuffed with that.

So all in all I painted up

227 x 25mm foot figures
57 x 25mm Cavalry figures
Total of 344 figures last year it was (231)
Various terrain pieces and buildings
5 Boxes
Torture Cage
5 Artillery pieces
a BBQ!
a Forge
a Table

Here's my performance so far in all the Challenges
Challenge II        4940 points 1st
Challenge III       2586 points 4th
Challenge IV       1227 points 17th
Challenge V          691 points 37th
Challenge VI        681 points 36th
Challenge VII      1093 points 24th
Challenge VIII      662 points 40th
Challenge IX       2274 points 8th
Challenge X        1687 points 11th
Challenge XI       2260 points 8th
Challenge XII      2168 points 7th

I've said it before and everyone's already said it, a massive thanks to Curt, Sarah, all the Minions and all the rest of you Challengers, for all their hard work it running the challenge,  putting it all together and for pulling me along in 3 months of madness! Its been a blast and I'm already looking forward to it all starting again in 9 months!
Cheers
Ray



30 comments:

  1. Excellent choice of photo I see, sir. You've gone for the two thumbs like myself. I tried an interlocked fingers too but it was weird. ;-)
    Great challenge result Ray and I've said it before, but thank you for encouraging me to join in. I've had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mrs was saying "pull a nice face" as she took the photos, I said one of the guys did this and gave her the thumbs up and the rest is history.
      Glad you joined in this year, its great isn't it?

      Delete
  2. That is a great output, Ray! It looks small in some of photos, but actually over 300 minis is a lot! 100 minis a month, more than 3 in a day and then all the other stuff! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose when you say it like that Teemu, you're right!

      Delete
  3. Great job on some very diverse projects. Ray. Well done. Thanks for all the positive comments you left on my posts over the course of the challenge. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Frederick, its a great community, the Challenge.

      Delete
  4. Great output, Ray, and well painted too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your work has been inspirational this year. i've just bought a huge number of 10mm Poles and Ottomans. I blame you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry....not really! I'm pleased to hear the 1683 bug has a new follower. Looking forward to see your minis Martin.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous work Ray. I always enjoy all your entries, but I especially liked following your Siege of Vienna project. I also like your Challenge retrospective - your first place in Challenge II is still the stuff of legends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, I remember the epic duel between me and Kent for top spot, which went down to the last post. Those were the days, not sure I'll ever match that points total again!

      Delete
  7. Top work as ever Ray! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ray, I ust say you did an aweinspiring job on your siege of Vienna/ Donnybrook stuff! See you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good stuff Ray. I think your wife got your good side! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic result, Ray! I really like your Haïtian project, but all your stuff is nice. It was great to meet you in the chat and I have really very much appreciated all your kind comments. See you next winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn, yes it was great putting a face to the name, no problem with the comments, its what its all about.

      Delete
  11. Terrific stuff Ray! I appreciated your encouragement so much throughout the Challenge, on my entries and on others. I think I mentioned before, but it is worth saying again, I loved your blacksmith and forge. The tealight is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tash, I'm glad to be of assistance. You'll have your own forge and tealight set soon, I bet?

      Delete
  12. Grea stuff Ray. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work Ray, I really enjoyed your two main projects. Great and suitably goofy top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on an excellent Painting Challenge Ray! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic result Ray, the Haitian stuff is excellent!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Splendid output and all of great quality!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete