Sunday 26 March 2023

From KerryT: Final post - Challenge Round-Up

Morning, afternoon & evening all

That 3 months has just whizzed by hasn't it, I can't believe we're at the end already which is just as well I suppose because taking part in this, only my second challenge occupied so much of my spare time. I suspect the discipline of trying to paint and prepare entries each week probably led to some obsessional thinking and a temporary unhealthy preoccupation  with things metal and plastic. I had a great time though!

I'd like to extend my thanks to Curt in particular, not only for allowing me to take part, but for his persistent commitment to the Challenge over so many years, and though I've only recently become involved I feel part of something unique and wonderful.

We all know it wouldn't be possible without the help of the Minions who must it seems sacrifice so much of their own hobby time to facilitate our own posting, I wonder where they find the time. Special thanks to Tamsin who is a standout for those of us in the Tuesday Terrors and though I've never met her is obviously an all round good egg. Thanks Tamsin. I'd also like to say a big thank you to Millsy the masterful accountant who I suspect did an huge amount of work behind the scenes

To the rest of you many thanks for your praise and encouragement, you've produced some superb entries and further inspiration. Its a shame time is so tight as its been hard, particularly in the past 2 weeks to keep up and comment on all the brilliant stuff on show. Like many others I tried my best to comment on most things

Not only did I have a great fun time, I was also very productive

256 28mm Foot figures, 62 mounted & 3 carts,41 15mm figures & 3 elephants

My main aim this year was to take big bite into my slow burn Italian Wars project. At the outset my secondary aim was to try and produce more squirrels than last year and I thought I might produce 40 at most. I soon abandoned the idea though as I soon realised there was no way I could keep up with Chris, Stuart & Kyle without losing sleep and sanity. Well done guys

My Fantasy submissions, though more were planned


The Italian Wars bite


Lest call them miscellaneous

Did I learn anything? 
I learned that I'm a slow learner and always had an unrealistic expectation of what I might complete in a week. My golf and garden suffered but I think I only stayed up really late on 1 occasion to complete an entry.

I thought I was organised this year, but I learned otherwise. The postal strike in the UK threw in a  few spanners, in the picture above there is a Norman fort. I put this on the table at the start of the challenge intending it as a centrepiece for the Norman Foot I was going to paint. They never got done as the bases and shield transfers only arrived in mid March despite being ordered in early December. The Footsore Welsh & Victrix Danes never got painted either - never mind there's always next year!

I also learned that I still hate basing and the thing I found the hardest each week was basing and posting. 

Now that time is moving more slowly, I'm looking forward to updating my neglected blog, catching up with others blogs that I've not had time to follow, planning my purchases at Partizan, making a decision what rules to use and eventually getting these out and putting them alongside the rest of my now growing Italian wars collection and finally playing a game.











38 comments:

  1. Kerry, wrinkles in deliveries aside, you had a fabulous Challenge. I always enjoy seeing your work as it's so wonderfully realized and humorously described. I especially loved your Italian Wars units. Beautiful stuff. Bravo! I hope to see you with us next December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt- looking forward to next year already

      Delete
  2. Really impressive output Kerry - top ten! Really enjoyed the Italian Wars project

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made an excellent contribution to the Challenge. My eye was caught by your Renaissance project. See you next December

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great challenge you had with an impressive output. I find it fascinating to hear what bits people enjoy and also find a chore. I love basing as it tells my brain that I have nearly finished the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that Peter I hate basing more than prepping and it makes such a mess

      Delete
  5. What a great range of output Kerry and such a good looking room and setup -- I'm really jealous! Look forward to seeing more from you next time around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, its just another bedroom really with kind of alternative bedroom furniture!

      Delete
  6. Very nice, Kerry, and it is nice to see at least one participant painting a decent amount of Italian Wars! :) Neatly painted units, no some rest, and back to the painting desk. Or to garden. Or golf course. Or sofa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, I'm not a sofa man, i just like to keep busy

      Delete
  7. Fantastic volume of work, at a fantastic quality! Great work Kerry, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job all around and beautifully painted pieces throughout the challenge here! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great production there Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, its funny how we all expect to produce more though!

      Delete
  10. That all looks very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was always a great pleasure to see what you had for me to minion on Tuesdays, Kerry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, if you're at Partizan I'll buy you a beer

      Delete
  12. A very impressive Challenge and impressive haul too, nice one Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, just a tiny pimple next to the lead pile

      Delete
  13. Fantastic work, Kerry, your Fight Club scene was truly phenomenal! I loved all your great posts, and I am very grateful for your encouraging comments. See you in the next Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheers, see you in December!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your Italian Theme Kerry. It looks stunning. I also love the mix of characters throughout, the 'civilians' mix are excellent. Great job and well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, civilians always add something but I still never seem to get round to using them in games

      Delete
  16. Fantastic summary photos - also love the Italian Wars project. Wonder what rules do you play with for this period?
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't played a game yet Jez, I love painting more than gaming but I do intend to get something sorted though not sure yet what to use for rules

      Delete
  17. Excellent work, Kerry! I loved your Italian Wars project and the fight club entry is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, to be honest they were an afterthought!

      Delete
  18. Superb Kerry, particularly loved your Italian wars kit

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent output, loved your Italian wars figures particularly!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome stuff Kerry. I really loved your Italian Wars stuff.

    ReplyDelete