Monday 6 March 2023

KenR - 1/700 WW2 HMCS Huron - Go Canada ! (40 points)

 

This week I have actually painted some 28mm Spanish Italian Wars, I've completed the Sword and Buckler section of my debut Colunela but I will hang on and do a big reveal when the whole unit is hopefully finished, so I'm afraid its more ships !

I was a bit naughty posting a picture of this ship before it appeared on here, but I was chatting elsewhere with someone about how little monetary value is placed on the work of wargames painters, that got me thinking. How long would it actually take me to complete this model, from the Box to the Table. Normally I have 2 or 3 ships on the go so although I've built a few, I didn't know how much time one took.

So on Friday I did a live tweetathon (also on Facebook) starting at 10.00 with an unopened kit and a piece of MDF. It turned out that I failed to complete the ship by 18.15 when Mrs YG called me in for my tea. I went back later that night and put the finishing touches on it. In total (with unpaid meal breaks) it took me 9 hours. So if we say the kit and consumables are £20, minimum UK wage is £10.42 that would put the "value" of this model at roughly £115. Now don't forget that's minimum wage, not a 40 years of experience wage. Now its a long time since I was involved in Commission but is £115 for an off the shelf ship, I don't think so but then I'm not buying ! If you want to see the post follow @yarkshiregamer on Twitter or on Facebook and check out the various stages


Anyway, back to the Challenge, HMCS Huron was a Tribal Class Destroyer in the service of the Royal Canadian Navy and is my little nod to the Canadian Wargamers I have had the pleasure to interact with over the years, Curt of course who has graced my Podcast and dedicated his time to this wonderful event each year. James and Mike from the wonderful Canadian Wargamer Podcast and people like Barnaby Ore who has always been supportive of Yarkshire Gamer.

Guys if you are ever in the UK, I will organise a game for you to take command of this ship. I have always had a soft spot for Canada, as a young child I met one of my Grandads uncles who had emigrated to Regina, Saskatchewan before WW2. We used to write to each other and I would revel in the tales of his life in Canada, I still have 6 Canadian Dollars he sent me back in the late 1970s. Sadly I lost touch with that branch of the family when he past on.

I've claimed my usual 40 points (no extra points for crew this week :-) which we now know is worth 9 hours of my time ! The kit is from Trumpeter, I hope to post up a second post later today as well so hopefully I'll see you later.


Fine work on a fine ship Ken.  You are a madman to attempt this on a day long marathon.  Detailed parts (I assume with the standard photo etched bits), wonderful sea base and great looking weathering over Western Approaches Cammo.

But I am still wanting to see some @#$%&* Italian Wars!

I may take you up on that offer, but my UK family lives in Hampshire so it will be a bit of a trek up to the wilds of the Yarkshire moors.


19 comments:

  1. Another beauty of a ship, Ken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine work as always Ken, lovely to see another Canadian ship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work, Ken. It's great to see one of the Tribal's getting your talented attention. As 'usual', love the camo and water effect. I'll definitely take you up on your offer when we're next in your part of the country. I'm sure I can captain one of those to the briny bottom in record time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another splendid looking ship! It's not helpful to work out the monetary cost of our time I find!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting experiment and the perfect answer for the next person who offers me £30 for one 😉

      Delete
  5. Lovely work here Ken. Great to see a Tribal class ship too. Go Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas. this is my 2nd and I have 4 to do for Narvik 👍

      Delete
  6. Never excuse yourself for showing us more of your fantastic ships! Huron is again a beauty, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great entry Ken this is such a mad project

    ReplyDelete