Saturday 1 April 2023

From JamesM: Challenge 13 Wrap-up

Hi folks,

Having had a chance to tidy my workspace a little this week, I had space to lay out my completed models from this years challenge efforts. 


Such was the impact of focusing mainly on 28mm models that I set a new personal best, finishing in 36th place with 814 points. You big scale painting folks have obviously got it easy when it comes to scoring!




The main aim this year had been to work on what I'd prepped and focus on getting some gangs painted for Necromunda. As usual, I failed slightly on these goals. This failure included having converted a 'Beastman' gang during the challenge and deciding to build a 15mm WW2 mini diorama. 

I also managed to get completed a few painting shelf lurkers and finish off a few more bits of 28mm terrain. As well as a small Space Marine fleet for Battlefleet Gothic. 

Much of this years efforts involved embracing and experimenting with Army Painter speed paints and Vallejo Xpress speed paints. Really useful tools when it comes to painting fantasy/sci fi minis. Hopefully Vallejo might expand their range to some of the more historical colours. 

In the end I painted:

A Goliath Necromunda gang (10 models plus a brute)
A Chaos Helot Cult Necromunda gang (16 models plus a demonspawn)
A Chaos Beastman Necromunda gang (9 models)
A Slave Ogyrn Necromunda gang (6 big models)
Various hangers on and NPC models for Necromunda (9 models)
Two small 28mm vehicles
A Space Marine Battlefleet Gothic flotilla
A 15mm Valentine bridge-layer tank
A 15mm Light Aid Detachment diorama plus a radio van
Some 15mm Snipers for my WW2 Brits
A battery of three 15mm M109 guns for my Cold War Dutch
120mm mortars and gun crews for my Cold War Dutch, plus .50cal APC turrets
Some random Necromunda terrain and scatter terrain

I'm particularly proud of the LAD diorama and the Dutch bits - as well as my ability to just get on and paint my Necromunda stuff. 

Big thanks go to Curt & Lady Sarah for organising us all, and to the minions for their efforts. Thanks also, as usual, to the paint and chat crew. 

Going forward for the rest of the year, I've a 15mm Cold War Dutch army to finish painting before Battlefront potentially expands the available range of models for in a few(?!) months!




13 comments:

  1. Lots of different things painted here, James! Rusted terrain looks good and usable, and glad you have found a new tool to your paint arsenal! Face in the next Challenge, perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, James! I liked your work this year, in particular your great 15mm vignette for the Director’s Chair Challenge. See you in December!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job this year James and lots of new toys we can play with

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed all the Necromunda stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of different stuff there, James - glad you had a good Challenge! :)
    I suspect your problem in previous years was that you were painting your 15s to the same standard as most people paint their 28s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fine work, James! I enjoyed your necromundia bits as much as those detailed 15mm! Very fine work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very respectable output and a great variety. The Challenge is great to keep ypu focused. See you next December

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great effort James, so it's 25's all the way from now on is it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a great Challenge, James. I especially liked your Space Marine BG flotilla. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outstanding James, the Necromunda stuff was my favourite part of your build along with the Cold War bits. Disappointed though No Spear chuckers!

    All the best and chat soon

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking BFG and your Necromundia gangs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome work, I donlike the Dutch and Necromunda stuff a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work James. Love your BAOR armour.

    ReplyDelete