Friday 22 March 2024

From BenitoV: Looking Past and Looking Forward

Time flies and I don't know you, but the older one gets, the faster it passes; I can hardly believe three months (and winter!) are already gone. 

Since COVID in 2020 I've noticed my painting mojo steadily decreasing, and in the past two Challenges it has been the only time in the year when I have productively used my hair brushes and airbrush. That also explains my reduced output, to the extent that I couldn't even hit my modest 400 points target (missed by 10 points), one of the lowest set in the last decade.

But let's cut the drama and get into business. This year I started the Challenge with no clear project in mind, and unexpectedly it evolved into a series of 28 mm vehicles of the Second World War around a common topic: light armor and recon.







The remaining models also share a common feature, things mounted, but not for the same historical period. 





At this time I want to thank all who passed by my posts and left messages, it was encouraging and really helped seeing so many people enjoy my work.  Also, thanks to the minions this year for putting up so much time and effort. And many-many thanks to Curt and Sarah for organizing again such a wonderful gathering.

No photo of me and my creatures, as I have them stored in the locker rented at my local wargames club in Madrid. But I leave this with my lovely wife from a trip to Rome organized by a group of archaeologists just days before the Challenge started last December.


  Looking forward to seeing you here again in nine months from now!


23 comments:

  1. It’s not just quantity though is it - quality makes up for sure . I love seeing your stuff . I think it all depends on what you take from our hobby at the time , reading , research , model making , painting , to to gaming - we take what need I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. True, I'm investing more time now than before in reading about a battle or a period. I'm also doing lots of board historical wargaming too

      Delete
  2. I always very much your great painting, Benito! I think you had a Challenge to be proud of and am looking forward to seeing you again in Nine months time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always impressed with your AFVs- well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Benito, as Dave said, it's quality over quantity and there is some quality work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work Benito. Your AFVs are always amazing and loved the Roman cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! But very poor output compared to yours

      Delete
  7. As always it was wonderful to have you with us again this year, Benito. My favourite was the Pz MkI variant that was developed during the Spanish Civil War. Very interesting. Also, lovely picture of you and Marissa in Rome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure participating in the Challenge! one never gets tired of Rome

      Delete
  8. Benito the Romans have aura especially in their handling those bows. Likewise the Wolf rider exudes tension. Then you can also make cold metal come alive - I like the unclean lines - no sprayed to perfection suits me. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent collection of vehicles and cavalry, here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's never enough vehilces in a collection. Same applies to cavalry, specially in the Dark Age

      Delete
  10. Really enjoyed your posts throughout the challenge and your work on the WW2 vehicles. Great job, and until the next one now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee, see you around hopefully later this year

      Delete
  11. Well done and keep up the great work. Hope to see your work in 9 months.

    ReplyDelete