Tuesday 23 January 2018

From: AlexK - U.S armour winter wonderland (36points)

Hi all,

My first post of the challenge was of my U.S airborne (based loosely on the tv series Band of Brothers) and in that post I joked about not being able to resist painting up some Shermans.....it was a joke and I never really meant to go ahead with this silly plan, so.....

This week I have for you 5 PSC 76mm Sherman' and a Zvezda 'Stuart' M3A1. I find 15mm tanks one of the easiest things to paint due to the techniques involved, as long as your colours are right the details bring themselves out with a bit of drybrushing.

The weathering is a bit more tricky, especially snow. I think it would be very easy to over do the snow and to start masking the details. I really wanted to give them a cold feel and I tried to get that brittle cold metal look going. The little Stuart was a spare kit I had which I'm pretty sure wouldn't have been very common (if present at this stage of the war) but it's a cracking little model anyway.










I'm waiting for some decals to really finish them, when they arrive I'll put up an updated photo or 2.

Thanks for looking

Very nice armour Alex! You really succeeded in getting that frosty cold metal look you wanted, it really looks amazing. The bases themselves, with a good mix of uncovered ground and snow, truly enhance the look of the unit. That little Stuart is my favourite, the first model I ever build was a Matchbox (later Revell) Stuart Honey so yeah it's a gem!
^frosty fighting vehicles gain you 36 points for the lists.

18 comments:

  1. They look great Alex - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice US armour, I like your level of winter finish and agree enough to suggest but not too much you lose detail, leave the decals off and you can us them as soviets too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone, it's much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cold looking, I like the snow effects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking armour. I love the wintery effects. Looks like whatI had to brush of my Forester yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Alex - as others have noted, the snow effects on the vehicles are very well done. Looks like they are parked outside here in Winnipeg...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful looking winter armour. Greg beat me to the punch as I was just going to say that they'd be at home here in the Prairies right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bit of winter work there - if only we had some of that down here in Sydney! It's almost impossible to paint if you don't have aircon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice bunch of frosty tanks. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grand weathering on these frozen tanks, Alex!
    I like the Stuart very much. It only needs a ghost of a confederate cavalry officer to be an elite unit! ;)

    ReplyDelete