Tuesday 30 January 2018

From: JeremyM - More Imperial Assault Imperials (50 points)

Hi Everyone,

So I've been carrying on painting stuff from the core set of Imperial Assault. In this case the other AT-ST, the probe droids and the Imperial Guard.


I had actually painted the AT-ST the same time as the other one (submitted for BFG), but went with the classic grey rather than the green-grey combo for the more unique one. I also primarily used the airbrush and am pretty happy with how the greys blended with it. I also used weathering pigments to add some detail but as with the other one feel I overdid it a bit with the feet.


For the probe droids I was honestly getting a bit tired of these simple monochromatic paint schemes and so decided to give each different colored eyes (lenses). Gives them a bit of a stop light feel but will help differentiate each of them on the table, something I haven't quite figured out how to resolve with some of the other figures on the table with these clear bases (I might paint the rim or look into 3d printed base rings perhaps). I also created these flight stands using clear acrylic rod as I didn't like the knuckle dragging design of the originals.



I tried to paint the imperial guard using the airbrush but found that the blending it produced was a bit too subtle for the minis. But it was worth a try and at least base coated them. So I switched to an actual brush and also tried a red glaze for the first time. I'm pretty happy with how the ended up, and am totally using glazes to help with blending in the future. Game them some gloss varnish on the helmets to help make them look more like leather than the cloth robe.



I also tried out some different brushes for these minis. I had supported two games and gears brush kickstarters. The first ones (double-ended) were absolute garbage, useful for drybrushing at best. I liked the second set (ichiban pro line) but was encountering issues. The set I used for these were from the WAMP brush kickstarter and they were noticeably better than the games and gears mediocre ones. It really helped wamp contracted with an actual brush company (Rosemary & Co). Now, however, it has me thinking of looking into the highly touted Series 7 or Rapheal brushes. If they make painting this simple and fun will totally be worth the added cost.

7 x 28mm figures and one vehicle = 50 points

A nice kick-off for the Tuesday crew Jeremy! These Imperials are a fine bunch if ever there was one. Hard to pick a favourite with so much goodies in one entry, but if I had to I would opt for the AT-ST. I simply love those Imperial Walkers and the painting and weathering on yours is superb. The Imperial Guards with their dashing red uniforms are splendid too and your use of varnish to differentiate between textures is an inspired choice as well. Very nice! 50 points will be awarded tonight.

12 comments:

  1. Man I like what you've done with these they look so good another great entry my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work again Jeremy. Love the floating octopus droids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff Jeremy. Those Sith Guard look terrific and scary as hell. I agree, glazes are a lot of fun, especially on these types of figures where you want to provide a nice subtle colour gradation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some true eyecandy once again! Your airbrush work is great but your painting on the guard is sublime. I can only encourage you to give the Series 7 brushes a go. You won’t regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent stuff. Very nice. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking star wars figures, really nice work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really impressed with that red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those royal guard are superb! You should really get the Emperor now for them to protect...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grand work, Jeremy! I quite like the walker, the weathering seemed to be red clay to me..I've wallow ed in enough of that stuff that it must be a comic force that concepts infantry to it!
    I like the guard too with the glazes and the varnish on the helms.they are subtle( as red can be) and very well done!

    ReplyDelete