Tuesday 30 January 2018

From: SebastianR - Dogs! (35 points)

So here are those dogs I promised. Look its been a busy time ok?

Turns out I'm better at identifying dog breeds than I thought.

This, I believe is an Irish Wolfhound.



It might be worth noting that some of these were sold to me as 30mm. I thought there wouldn't be much of difference but I was wrong. I had to clip bases back to the minimum to get these to fit on 25mm bases. Even so this one seemed rather oversized and *one google search later* bloody hell those things are big!


I'm well aware of the internet's penchant of paring particularly large animals with particularly small women, but even by those standards these dogs are massive. 

Speaking of massive dogs, the next breed is a Baskerville hound. That's a real thing right?



It was giant and ornery so it looked like it deserved to be a giant black predator hunting fictional detectives across the moors of Victorian England.



It's original colour scheme was so black that none of the highlighting showed up on the photo... or at distance for that matter... so I added some less subtle highlighting to compensate. I'm not entirely sure it's an improvement. Have I mentioned that I hate painting animals? Actually, any large smooth surface, flesh in particular.

I am, however, happy with the outcome on this wee guy.



I'm note sure what breed it is (but I'm sure you can enlighten me ad nauseum in the comments). It looks like some cross between a chihuahua and a miniature German Shepherd.

I've never tried blending, and I'm not sure if that's what I've done here, but I think I got the colours to blend really well.

Here's group shot of them all


That's 7 28mmish dogs for a total of 35pts if I am correct.

I was hoping to get a wastelander done to play with them but he'll have to wait for another time.

Instead - as a bonus for you - I finally chose a flock style for my early war French, so here's my BFG entry with some nice happy basing (why yes I did bloodily rip off was inspired by JamesM!)
Nil-pwa
 
 Who let the dogs out? WHO WHO WHO?! Well Sebastian obviously! Great to see you make up on your promise and show us these lovely doggies. Personally I think you've nailed the breeds down very well so I will not comment on those. I share your aversion of painting animals. I never seem to get the texture right, you did exceedingly well with yours though! I can see this pack roaming the Post-Apocalypse landscape or ranging through Fellstad or something like that. 35 points will be added to your doghouse this evening.







15 comments:

  1. Very nice mate, love the french guns to

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Now guess whats stuck in my head. Love those dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Imitation is the highest form of flattery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a wonderful assortment of hounds! (I think that Irish Wolfhound is my fave.) Well done Sebastian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta agree with Dave D, love the Irish Wolfhound, what a fantastic pose!! Where did you get these from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice bunch of Pooches and great basing. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pack of dawgs. A gaming buddy had Irish wolfhounds, so that's my top pick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking dogs and your BFG basing is great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! Love the Irish wolfhound!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dogs are fantastic, Sebastian! I am most partial to the big ones especially the mastiff and the wolfhound, but that big black beastie is a treat too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What company makes these ?

    ReplyDelete