Thursday 20 January 2022

From AlanD: A Project Completed in the Snows of Klendathu? (200 points)

I've had a great start to the Challenge so far this year, and this entry sees me (largely) completing my first project. I say 'completing', but you know how it is... Maybe just another tank or two?

But for now, my Romanians are (largely) done. Not only that, but I've completed my modest target of 500 points, which means I can set my sights on my 'real' target for the year. At the start of this challenge I was 1309 points shy of 10,000 total career points, this being my 8th Challenge, so that's what I'm going to aim for.

For now, we have 3 Romanian T-3 tanks - similar but subtly different to the version of the Czech tank that the Germans called the Panzer 35(t). Some of these were still being used by the Romanians in 1944-5, and you have to pity the poor sods who were supposed to use them against T34/85s and (from August 1944) German armour. Annoyingly, when I bought three of them as a special deal from Great Escape Games I overlooked the fact that they come with buttoned-up turrets, whereas buying the tanks individually means you can get them with open hatches. The three tank commanders I bought will just have to wait.




Next, some transport from Rubicon models. The Soviet truck still sports its Russian snow camouflage, although the Romanians have painted over it a bit so they can add national insignia to the doors. The Sdkfz 10 is one of about 30 (from memory) that the Germans gave the Romanians in 1942. German equipment was usually left in its original colour, so the Panzer Grey under the snow camouflage gives a bit of contrast to all the green. These Rubicon models are gorgeous, by the way. Even the tyres bulge ever so slightly where they rest on the ground, a tiny detail which gives me great joy.



Finally, a few extra bits and pieces of support in the form of an anti-tank rifle team (I'm unsure what type of rifle it's supposed to be), a Bohler anti-tank gun and crew, and a forward observer team, preparing to call down wholly inadequate artillery fire on the advancing Red Army.




For this entry I will also continue my peripatetic wandering around the Quadrant. From Cybertron, I'm travelling up The Great Abyssal, back to the outer ring. I'll finish my Romanian project (for now) at Klendathu, because their partly unwilling attack on the USSR was truly an invasion that went terribly wrong, as the four casualty figures attest.

 

Points for this entry are confusing me a bit. I think prone figures are worth 2.5 points each, but some of the figures may or may not be prone... Barks, feel free to exercise your judgement!

So:

5 vehicles - 100 points

Maybe 4 'whole' figures and 10 either prone or driving vehicles - 45 points

Crew served weapons - 10 points for the anti-tank gun, unless the radio of the forward observers counts as well? Gunners would certainly consider it to be a powerful weapon 😊

Klendathu bonus - 20 

Total - 175 points

I, too, get confused by prone figures and drivers. Let's call it a round 200 with a completion bonus. Is a project truly completed until you've treated us all to a group shot?

Barks

19 comments:

  1. Wow - congrats on "completing" the project, Alan! Great looking Romanians!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats on rounding this one off. These looks great, more wonderful snow effects. You sound so optimistic about their chances on table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what you’re really saying is, ‘completed-ish’! Wonderful job on finishing your project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work makes me feel cold just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous work! The slushy snow doesn’t fail to impress me and your painting is of course top notch. I especially like the inclusion of the casualty markers. Something I‘d like to see used more often…
    As for the AT-Rifle, it looks like a weird bastard between the Swiss made Solothurn S-18/1000 and a Finnish Lahti L-39. Couldn’t find anything that somehow resembles this thing even loosely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a similar process. Looks a bit like a Soluthurn in part, but largely imaginary, I think.

      Delete
  6. I love the clunky looking early war armour...poor guys having to take them into action in the late war, yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good.job with this project! Finished force, just couple of tank commanders to do, what to do with them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been on fire with this project Alan. Terrific work. I love the whole doomed feel to the force. It will make 'winning' with them that much sweeter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to "complete" this project! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really like WW2 Romanians and you've done a brilliant job with both them and the snow effect!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great Alan, feel cold just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve really enjoyed watching your progress on this project and would love to see these guys in action.
    Brilliant winter basing too.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superb looking figures here. You really captured the look and feel of the environment. The little diorama type weapon bases and the winter basing you did are especially well done!

    ReplyDelete